Dc return pump pulsing vibrations

Keeper5221

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dc return pump has started to make a pulsing sound , its vibrating but in pulses which is confusing me. Ive opened and reset the impeller but no change it didnt look damaged. The water flow out the pipe back into the tank is a constant flow so the actual water flow isnt pulsing just the sound. The sound also randomly gets louder and softer at times though that may be me geting used to it not too sure. The return pump is attached to my uv by vinyle tubing which isnt vibrating or touching anything. The actual pump is whats vibrating. I am very confused as to why its a pulsing sort of vibration and not just a constant buzz. I tried to get a video but the sound isnt coming through over the sounds of water. Any ideas would be appreciated its a great white 3000 dc pump. I only have it running at about 4 out of 20 settings.

OP
OP
K

Keeper5221

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what model is it?
chaeto on the impeller?
Intake fully submerged?
The pump is a great white 3000 dc pump its a australian brand, yea the pump is fully submerged its about 9 inches of water deep and no chaeto the pump is in its own chamber with no way for anything to make its way over to it.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Since it's a dc pump, does it have different flow modes?
Could the controller have switched to a low pulse mode instead of a steady flow mode?

OP
OP
K

Keeper5221

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It being in pulse mode was the first thing i checked , the controller says its in constant mode but i flipped through the modes just to check and there is a definite difference between pulse and constant mode. So i can say for sure its in constant mode right now. Ill try to get it on video.

KC2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The controller for that pump is detachable. Is it possible that the connection is loose and intermittent ? Or has corroded, has water in it ?

OP
OP
K

Keeper5221

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill check if any of the fittings are loose but no the pump itself is about a month old and the controller is on the outside of the tank so no chance its gotten wet.

OP
OP
K

Keeper5221

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive checked all the cable connections everything is plugged in tight and no sighs of corrosion anywhere

OP
OP
K

Keeper5221

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sound definitely comes and goes so im thinking it is a electrical issue , I'm going to try a different outlet and see if that helps maybe that helps also see if i can get new wires. Will keep the thread updated incase anyone else is having similar issues.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 86 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back