Dead fan coral in tank?

Jhoussock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
D850D389-A190-4C68-A945-CD3E0385DF09.jpeg
Would love to incorporate this fan coral into my reef tank as it has a story behind it with my wife. My instincts tell me it’s a terrible idea, what do you think? Can it be lightly sprayed with a reef safe paint to seal it? Would it eventually just break down inside the tank? Any tips on what would make it work?

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it will eventually break down to nothing even if it’s sealed. Sealant only lasts so long in salt water. I’d mount it and put it up above the tank in maybe like a shadow box or something.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
D850D389-A190-4C68-A945-CD3E0385DF09.jpeg
Would love to incorporate this fan coral into my reef tank as it has a story behind it with my wife. My instincts tell me it’s a terrible idea, what do you think? Can it be lightly sprayed with a reef safe paint to seal it? Would it eventually just break down inside the tank? Any tips on what would make it work?
I'd put in tank

OP
OP
Jhoussock

Jhoussock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it will eventually break down to nothing even if it’s sealed. Sealant only lasts so long in salt water. I’d mount it and put it up above the tank in maybe like a shadow box or something.
That’s a cool idea!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back