Dead torch coral(?) after cleaning tank

Icryhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had cleaned my wavemakers (and tank) and put them back in the tank, but the current became a bit too strong because of it. The torches did sway around a bit agressive, but that was it. I lowered it, played around a bit with the wavemakers to get back to the right flow. I noticed 1 of the 2 heads of my torch be a bit deflated. I first thought: Maybe it caught mysis. After a while I noticed a bit of the coral had come off the skeleton. I couldn't get a clear picture and didn't want to stress it even more in the hopes of it recovering. This all was yesterday. Today I looked again and it still looks deflated. Is it salvagable or is it over for this head?

My params:
PO4 = 0,07 (Hanna ULR)
NO3 = 15 (Salifert)
MG = 1365 (Salifert)
CA = 445 (Salifert)
Alk = 8.1 (Salifert)
Salinity = 1025
temp = 25-26 (between)
Light = David Saxby -> 3 Hydra 26 HD

WhatsApp Image 2023-06-03 at 10.45.40.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2023-06-03 at 10.41.49 (1).jpeg WhatsApp Image 2023-06-03 at 10.41.49.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2023-06-03 at 10.41.38.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2023-06-03 at 10.41.30.jpeg

Last edited:

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. It looks pretty good to me and will probably snap back. Are you sure it was the flow that did it?

OP
OP
Icryhard

Icryhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. It looks pretty good to me and will probably snap back. Are you sure it was the flow that did it?
I don't know... that's the only thing which got a bit crazy when I had cleaned the wavemakers due to no filth on it anymore and then its mouth got open like this and it became deflated. Yeah I scrubbed off algae too, from the glass... but I doubt that went in its mouth and its enjoying some algae

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason I asked is because it could also be caused by pests. Did you dip your torches when you got them? How long have you had them?

If flow causes an issue on a torch, if you correct the problem. A healthy torch will usually be back to normal pretty soon.

OP
OP
Icryhard

Icryhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason I asked is because it could also be caused by pests. Did you dip your torches when you got them? How long have you had them?

If flow causes an issue on a torch, if you correct the problem. A healthy torch will usually be back to normal pretty soon.
I think I did. It didn't really look like this before I did the above. Should I dip it again? I don't want to stress it out more if I can avoid it.

OP
OP
Icryhard

Icryhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd also say your mag is a little low. I'd try to bring it up closer to 1500. Our Torches deflate some when mag is under 1400
And my calcium? Should that stay at 445? How much mag should I increase daily? and what about my other corals? Won't they suffer from the high mg?

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would leave it alone for now. Just watch each day and if it worsens then take action. Since you saw skin removed from the skeleton. If you have to dip later on. A nice luguls bath would help. The reason I ask for pests is because flat worms can eat on the flesh around the torch skeleton and when the current hit it. The weekend flesh comes off. I have had this happened.

Rennurdoar

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
And my calcium? Should that stay at 445? How much mag should I increase daily? and what about my other corals? Won't they suffer from the high mg?
Calcium is good. We shoot for 460 but 445 is good too. You can bring mag up pretty quickly without any issues. The mag at 1500 shouldn't bother anything else either. I'd shoot for 1450/1475 and try to maintain around 1450.

OP
OP
Icryhard

Icryhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calcium is good. We shoot for 460 but 445 is good too. You can bring mag up pretty quickly without any issues. The mag at 1500 shouldn't bother anything else either. I'd shoot for 1450/1475 and try to maintain around 1450.
All right. I'll bring it up gradually then. May I ask why it's useful to have the mg higher? Does it do anything for the corals (think of quicker skeleton development for example)?

Rennurdoar

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
All right. I'll bring it up gradually then. May I ask why it's useful to have the mg higher? Does it do anything for the corals (think of quicker skeleton development for example)?

I'm not sure there. Just know from our experience and others that lower mg will make Torches and hammers especially retract and not expand as far.

You can bring it up 50-100 per day with no issues usually. Once you get up there, over the next few days you should see a little better expansion from your LPS.

We shoot for our parameters to be:

Alk: 8.5-9
Mag: 1450
Cal: 460
No3: 20
Po4: 0.10
Sal: 1.026

Each tank is different and will react differently also. But those parameters should be able to keep almost all corals happy. We also dose phytoplankton and pns probio each evening.

The best thing is research and research on what you're looking to do. Just read a lot of threads and see what their parameters are and try to maintain around those levels once you decide what you like, or what your tank likes.

OP
OP
Icryhard

Icryhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a picture with lights out. I know corals retract and all of that, but this way you could see its mouth the best I guess without all the tentacles slapping around. its mouth is basically like this throughout the day as well and the tentacles seem to be pretty deflated. All the other corals around it however puf up and become super long and stuff and only retract (as you can see in the picture) once it becomes dark.

WhatsApp Image 2023-06-04 at 00.34.24.jpeg

OP
OP
Icryhard

Icryhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a picture with lights out. I know corals retract and all of that, but this way you could see its mouth the best I guess without all the tentacles slapping around. its mouth is basically like this throughout the day as well and the tentacles seem to be pretty deflated. All the other corals around it however puf up and become super long and stuff and only retract (as you can see in the picture) once it becomes dark.

WhatsApp Image 2023-06-04 at 00.34.24.jpeg
Bump

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.2%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 28.1%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 74 48.4%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back