OP
OP
Nicole Sarnowski

Nicole Sarnowski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of my fish are going through the treatment together in my dt. I’m using super ick cure on them and since I don’t have any corals or inverts I don’t have to worry about killing anything with the medication. I just don’t want my babies to die it’s disheartening.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of my fish are going through the treatment together in my dt. I’m using super ick cure on them and since I don’t have any corals or inverts I don’t have to worry about killing anything with the medication. I just don’t want my babies to die it’s disheartening.
I'm not familiar with super ich cure. I will check it out. If you for sure have ich you would be better off using copper or hypo IMO. They are methods that are tried and true. They work.

There are many products that claim to be the cure all in a bottle that end you back at square one.

OP
OP
Nicole Sarnowski

Nicole Sarnowski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is how I came to own my dory. My sister had a saltwater aquarium and she was the one that had dory for almost 2 years. Dory got ick with her along with another fish she had when her tank was about 6 months old. She treated with API super ick cure and dory got better but the other fish died. Well about a year ago she had to get rid of her tank so she gave me everything she had including dory, a yellow tang, a chromis, 2 clowns, and 2 damsels. The dominoe damsel started killing my fish just recently so he was removed and given to the lfs. Within a few days the blue devil damsel started picking on me gobies so we fished him out too. In the process of all of this dory was not a happy camper (rocks were moved around). A few days after all this dory broke out with the white spots. So that is how I got dory and I have had her for about a year now. I would have never gotten a dory because of the size of my tank but I took my sisters. She had the super ick cure (2 unopened bottles) (expiration date is in 2021) Oh and she gave me her live rocks so I’m assuming that the ick was living in her live rocks and she gave it to me.

OP
OP
Nicole Sarnowski

Nicole Sarnowski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally got a picture but it’s not very good. Now my other 2 tangs have it and I’m not really sure it’s ick I’m leaning towards velvet. Don’t think I’m gonna have a fish tank anymore. Dory didn’t really eat much this morning.

4B463BA7-CBCE-48E1-91DF-7312B8C4A61D.jpeg

OP
OP
Nicole Sarnowski

Nicole Sarnowski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The picture is not really showing dory well because when the lights are on my gobies like to stir my sandbed up so I have lots of little particles floating around.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, that’s velvet and likely ich. You’ll need to treat the fish to likely lose them all and in short order.

OP
OP
Nicole Sarnowski

Nicole Sarnowski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I guess I’m going to lose them all... I just don’t have any way of doing a QT. Probably going to be getting out of the hobby just don’t have the means of dealing with all the losses. Dory does look better than when it first started but only time will tell, just thought I would tell y’all.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I guess I’m going to lose them all... I just don’t have any way of doing a QT. Probably going to be getting out of the hobby just don’t have the means of dealing with all the losses
Do you have coral in the tank? Inverts? You can remove and treat in the DT if you absolutely have to.

OP
OP
Nicole Sarnowski

Nicole Sarnowski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have any corals or inverts because my nitrates are too high at this time

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am so devastated at this point because I was so close at getting my nitrates down so I could start getting corals (nitrates were 80ppm now down to 40ppm) even finally was able to get a ro/di system and then I get ich. If she doesn’t get better I might just quit I really don’t handle loosing fish I have had for almost a year
Don't give up. I had a powder brown tang when I first started. I knew nothing of QT. I put him in my 125 and the next day he caught ick and a few days later everything in the tank had it. Blue damsels, blue throat trigger,
sweetlips and my clown fish. I was unaware of the treatments because I did not know of any communities such as this one. everything died. I was hurt. I could not even take the fish out the tank I was so hurt and sad.
My wife and son had to do it for me. Hippos are known to be ICH prone. I look back and reflect because I wanted coral too. I took a pic last night. It does get better. This hobby is about learning. If you never go thru anything bad you wont appreciate the success. Please don't give up. You will get past this.
zg2.jpg

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
super ick cure contains malachite green and nitrofurazone. Neither will cure ich. You can use almost anything for quarantine. I had to keep my fish in a storage tote yesterday while I was bleaching my QT. quarantine is not that expensive. Copper will help with both ich and velvet and is fairly cheap on amazon or LFS. While I view fish as pets, even from a cost basis you can save those fish for a fraction of what they cost. If you don't want to go ahead, at least try to give them to someone in your area who might be equipped to treat/quarantine.

Here's my makeshift QT...all fish survived.

eoxCZFacRyqIrCXA9kItOg.jpg

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have any corals or inverts because my nitrates are too high at this time
Then I'd add Copper Power to the display tank, remove some rock so that you don't kill all of the "live" on all of your rock. You'll need a Hanna copper checker to best monitor copper since your rock and sand will absorb some, but it gives your fish a fighting chance. Most of the absorption will be in the first few days until it is "Saturated".

When 30 days is up at full therapeutic copper, follow this:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/how-to-remove-copper-from-dt.326316/

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
super ick cure contains malachite green and nitrofurazone. Neither will cure ich. You can use almost anything for quarantine. I had to keep my fish in a storage tote yesterday while I was bleaching my QT. quarantine is not that expensive. Copper will help with both ich and velvet and is fairly cheap on amazon or LFS. While I view fish as pets, even from a cost basis you can save those fish for a fraction of what they cost. If you don't want to go ahead, at least try to give them to someone in your area who might be equipped to treat/quarantine.

Here's my makeshift QT...all fish survived.

eoxCZFacRyqIrCXA9kItOg.jpg
This is another alternative, you'll need a HOB filter with media removed, and added "sponge" (some non-poly media) and add biospira to it as needed. Source an ammonia alert badge (seachem product) to monitor ammonia. Dose biospira initially and any time the badge turns "greenish". If it is more than a little green, do a large water change followed by biospira.

OP
OP
Nicole Sarnowski

Nicole Sarnowski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I have another question please:

I bought ruby reef kick ick. Now I know there are mixed reviews on it but I ordered it the day I saw that dory was sick. It will be delivered today.

So my question is can I start it now or do I have to do a massive water change first since I have used the super ick cure??

It will be 48 hours since the last dose of super ick cure at 9pm tonight.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot use copper sorry but I just can’t

Why can’t you use copper? There’s no human health risk for as long as you don’t put your hands in the tank with copper for long or drink the water.

Kick ich doesn’t list its ingredients but states it’s a copper free ich treatment. The only effective copper free treatments would be formalin and chloroquine phosphate. I doubt kick ich contains either.

OP
OP
Nicole Sarnowski

Nicole Sarnowski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why can’t you use copper? There’s no human health risk for as long as you don’t put your hands in the tank with copper for long or drink the water.

Kick ich doesn’t list its ingredients but states it’s a copper free ich treatment. The only effective copper free treatments would be formalin and chloroquine phosphate. I doubt kick ich contains either.

It’s an issue I have that I would rather not go into. So I’m just stuck and will probably lose everything. I don’t have ppl I can give my fish to so I will keep my fish and if they die I guess I will strip down everything and clean everything and if my husband will let me start over but only if we can afford it and if he will be willing to spend the money.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s an issue I have that I would rather not go into. So I’m just stuck and will probably lose everything. I don’t have ppl I can give my fish to so I will keep my fish and if they die I guess I will strip down everything and clean everything and if my husband will let me start over but only if we can afford it and if he will be willing to spend the money.

Sorry to hear that. I would at least try a freshwater dip which may give the fish a temporary relief from velvet then I guess give kick ich a chance...if it’s ich their immunity may kick in enough although with tangs that’s less likely.

My advice would be not to restart unless you are able to set up proper quarantine and get proper medication. Or procure already quarantined and conditioned fish from someone like @Humblefish.

Unfortunately, many if not most fish we get these days are sick largely due to poor conditions in the supply chain.

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry to hear that. I would at least try a freshwater dip which may give the fish a temporary relief from velvet then I guess give kick ich a chance...if it’s ich their immunity may kick in enough although with tangs that’s less likely.

My advice would be not to restart unless you are able to set up proper quarantine and get proper medication. Or procure already quarantined and conditioned fish from someone like @Humblefish.

Unfortunately, many if not most fish we get these days are sick largely due to poor conditions in the supply chain.
Agreed.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.9%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 166 72.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back