Deciding on custom sump manufacturer

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my 40 breeder reef tank with a DIY 20 long sump but I would now like to upgrade to a manufactured sump. There are a few intricacies of my setup that have been making the search difficult.

1. Flow in the sump should be right to left (I could change this but it would be a plumbing mess to cross the return and drain pipes in the stand.
2. I have 33 inches of space for the sump due to how I built the stand. Width is 15 inches but I havent found this to be a limitation.
3. I would prefer a "Triton" sump as I don't run filter socks/pads and rely on a large refugium. I need chambers for refugium, skimmer, and return.
4. My skimmer is a Vertex Omega 130 with a footprint of 8.5" x 11.5".

So far, I have found three options that all have downsides. I would like others suggestions. I've considered a custom sump from someone like Melev's Reef but I would like the sump to be solid colored acrylic around the refugium as light spill today through the glass tank and baffles has algae growing everywhere.

Current options:
1. Synergy Reef TS-34 - Synergy has confirmed they could custom make the sump so it's 1.5" shorter while keeping the skimmer section large enough. With probe holder and ATO fitting: $529.98
2. Crystal Reef Aquatics Triton 30 - Sump fits but they have to custom make it to be right to left. The back is also clear so the option is to wrap the sides and back in vinyl. $449.95
3. Bashsea Smart Series 30" - Left to right flow but unlike Crystal Reef, they want $200 additional for the custom work of making right to left. $429.99 + $200 = $629.99

I'm leaning towards the Synergy. They have been the best to work with so far and seem very capable of doing the custom work to meet my needs exactly. What other companies would you suggest I look at?

Siguun

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. I have a very similar situation where I have a 40g breeder with a shadow over flow (1.5" drains) and I need the flow to go from right to left as well but not because the way I drilled the tank but because I can't fit a sump under the tank for the stand I built. So the sump has to go behind the tank which makes the sump reversed requiring me to make flow go right to left. Out of curiosity is there a particular thread you followed to build your stand? I followed a generic build for a 40g breeder stand and there is no way I can fit a sump under it unless it was very small. Not even a 20g L tank can fit under so I was wondering how you built the stand.

OP
OP
pluikens

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a look at the back and the stand. I did quite a bit of research but I didn't follow one specific design:
A better view of the plumbing job I completed this week. 1 inch orange pipe for the overflow with a spears gate valve into the sump exiting into a CPR 4 inch filter sock holder and 1 inch violet pipe for the return plumbing with a spears swing check valve. The fiancee picked the plumbing colors (one of the few ways I can keep her interested) and I really like how it looks under the lights.
IMG_20170920_181751.jpg

IMG_20170920_181450.jpg

Siguun

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah okay so your stand is pretty flushed to the edge and you also dont have those inner braces.. that makes alot more sense how you can fit that under. The way the stand I made makes the inner portion much smaller.
20181015_113450.jpg

Also by chance have you looked into a trigger system sump? I know most of what they sell premade is left to right but I never contacted them to see if they could switch it. I know they make triton method sumps. My only thing about theirs was the drains are 1" and my drains are 1.5

OP
OP
pluikens

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah okay so your stand is pretty flushed to the edge and you also dont have those inner braces.. that makes alot more sense how you can fit that under. The way the stand I made makes the inner portion much smaller.
20181015_113450.jpg

Also by chance have you looked into a trigger system sump? I know most of what they sell premade is left to right but I never contacted them to see if they could switch it. I know they make triton method sumps. My only thing about theirs was the drains are 1" and my drains are 1.5
I do like the Trigger Triton sumps. I haven't given them a call yet but they seem the least likely to make a custom sump. The upcoming Triton26 is much smaller than I need and the skimmer section is too small for the Omega 130. The Triton34 sump is just an inch too long but the skimmer section is still too small. It might be worth a call but I'd be asking them to make the sump smaller overall, increase the skimmer section size, and make it right to left with all the probe holders and dosing bulkheads moved. At that point, it's a pretty custom sump that would likely cost more than the Synergy. Thanks for the suggestion!

ReeferBean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Synergy Reef is a great company to deal with. Highly recommended.

You could also ask for a quote from Advanced Acrylics. They are local to me. I have a PVC hybrid sump from them. They can make you anything you want.

OP
OP
pluikens

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Synergy Reef is a great company to deal with. Highly recommended.

You could also ask for a quote from Advanced Acrylics. They are local to me. I have a PVC hybrid sump from them. They can make you anything you want.
I LOVE the look of the PVC/acrylic hybrid sumps. I had looked at them before but I thought they were a little out of my price range. They clearly can do anything though so I'll reach out to them to see what they come up with. Thanks!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 65 31.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 58 27.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 42 20.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back