"Deepwater" helfrichi firefish ?

CC_N

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious if anyone know what this is. Found this online. Pretty cool thou.

2022-02-17 (1).png

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious if anyone know what this is. Found this online. Pretty cool thou.

2022-02-17 (1).png
This is the Cook Islands Helfrichi Firefish. Yes, deep water. They assume this specific fish comes from deeper waters than the regular helfrichi and so loses the yellow on its head. Not a lighting issue in the tank but it is a VERY rare fish to find. Often in the 4 digit numbers.
Here’s a better picture of it from a reef builders article about it:
509342C8-4D84-4A46-9C79-0FAADB456DBC.jpeg

OP
OP
CC_N

CC_N

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never seen they being at 4 digit... According to quality marine, there's a deepwater var. also the reef builders pics are purple headed type. Beautiful fish.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never seen they being at 4 digit... According to quality marine, there's a deepwater var. also the reef builders pics are purple headed type. Beautiful fish.
The reason why you haven’t seen a helfrichi in the 4 digit numbers is most likely due to the deep water one being VERY rare and you only see the common yellow headed helfrichis (The “shallow” water helfrichi). The deep water variation is the purple headed helfrichi. The common yellow heads are from the Phillipines and the rarer purple heads are from the Cook Islands.

OP
OP
CC_N

CC_N

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they misplaced the picture in the pic above. Maybe they don't have the pic of purple one

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they misplaced the picture in the pic above. Maybe they don't have the pic of purple one
Actually, I now see it, the first photo Quality Marine has looks more blue than the one Reef Builders has. Wonder if that is just the variation in the species/lighting or if that’s a completely different fish.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the Cook Islands Helfrichi Firefish. Yes, deep water. They assume this specific fish comes from deeper waters than the regular helfrichi and so loses the yellow on its head. Not a lighting issue in the tank but it is a VERY rare fish to find. Often in the 4 digit numbers.
Here’s a better picture of it from a reef builders article about it:
509342C8-4D84-4A46-9C79-0FAADB456DBC.jpeg
interesting!

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 27 36.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 9 12.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 32.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 17.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back