defective frag racks in my tank

RogerWilco357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
N52 "v2" MAG Rack - Oceans Wonders item# 205350
I bought these at brs and one elsewhere and after cleaning my tank and trying to find out why my corals where not happy I found that the magnets where all bubbled and corroded and rusted I have since removed them and just want to alert you guys to check your magnets on any item in your tank and if not in use take them out like the glass cleaners luckily those have held up..let me know if you guys find anything.
good luck
Roger

myzislow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Roger, my magnets are the same way and my corals are happy. If anything a little rust wont hurt; GFO is essentially rust after all. I do agree that the product shouldn't fail like this, and is grounds for replacement due to poor craftsmanship.

While it obv cant hurt to correct the problem, I wouldn't be so quick to blame the rusty magnets for your poor coral health.

OP
OP
RogerWilco357

RogerWilco357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well the rack is holding fresh cut frags and the last thing they need is the heavy metals or so one would think since these corals are so darn picky with water parameters lol...So your magnets are the same way and your ok with that I take you have alot of SPS with no issues awesome. puts my mind at ease but still yanked them and have the frags on another piece of plastic these two racks where purchased around feb.2010 so 2 years old ..
Roger

myzislow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a big difference between coroding neodymium magnets and GFO. I have seen numerous stories of ****** off corals and mysterious tank problems that could be a result of magnets.
^^^seems like all speculation to me.

Roger, you've seen my tank on RC. Yes its SPS dominated and yes I have some very sensitive pieces as well. My frag rack is still in the tank, rusty magnets and all. OBV it cant hurt to replace it, and I will be doing so myself. But for now I need a place to hold my frags so it's staying until I order a new one.

I just checked my eshopps clear frag rack and it too has one magnet that is extremely corroded and rusty. These manufacturers need to step their games up!

OP
OP
RogerWilco357

RogerWilco357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
these two racks where purchased 3-15-2010 so 2 years old the magnets are coming apart slowly hope you remove yours before they stop working and your rack slips either way they shouldn't fall apart like this bummer I really like these magnets they are the strongest I have used maybe if they encase them properly this won't happen again..just wanted to put it out there so everyone knows and can remove them before they fall apart and drop your frags ..

danka-cedium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a defective rack, although by the time i noticed the bottom part of the magnet holder was completly gone... kind of sucks you would think for $25 this wouldnt happen.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 14 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 31 17.6%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 118 67.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.4%
Back