Dejardini Sailfin HLLE

EZMAC114

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my Desjardini is showing the beginning signs of HLLE. I read a long article about it but there is no definite treatment answer. Has anyone had it and treated/stopped it successfully?? And will HLLE cause a fish to start flashing?

Thanks

Temp 80
PH 7.9
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10

Last edited:
OP
OP
EZMAC114

EZMAC114

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I am feeding Julian Sprung's Sea Veggies, New Era algae pellets and he sometimes eats some krill shrimp when I feed my Niger Trigger

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
bump for evening crew

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post some pics? How long have you had the Desjardini? Any new tank mates?

Flashing is a definite sign of parasites.

Mike Paletta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Set up a filter using Ecosystem's Miracle Mud. I have used to reverse lateral line on fish that I got fro free because it was so bad. It has never failed to reverse it. I have it all the time in my refugium and it has always kept my fish from getting it.

OP
OP
EZMAC114

EZMAC114

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post some pics? How long have you had the Desjardini? Any new tank mates?

Flashing is a definite sign of parasites.

I'll have to get some pictures tonight. I've had him for about 7 months and I just moved him from my 55 to my 180 and no new tank mates. I didn't notice any flashing last night but he definitely was the other night. And yes I am running Chemi-pure Elite...I've been running this for about 3 weeks now. I checked for stray voltage last night in all of my tanks and they all read about 90v...I'm going to check again tonight with a different meter just to be sure. When I checked the 180 it read 91v so I unplugged the heater and it jumped up to 107v and then I unplugged my pump and it went to 91v again....this is why I want to try a different meter. His only tank mates at the time is my Niger Trigger that never bothers anyone, 5 scarlet hermits and an Emerald crab. There were two clowns in there but one got eaten by the Emerald(I think) and the other went back into my 55 for now. He has been eating Julian Sprung's sea veggies since I bought him and I just recently added the New Era algae pellets about two weeks ago.

MIKE NY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HLLE can be a direct result from stress, poor water and especially diet....even though a fish maybe nice and fat if it's not getting the right nutriants HLLE can develop especially with tangs which need alot of algae in their diets...feeding it the sea veggies and alage pellets along with some meaty foods everyday is a good start in preventing any further spread. I'm currently nursing back to health an Emperor Angel which is a LFS rescue with HLLE and had poor coloration. After a few weeks of a good balanced diet consisting of Rods, Larrys products, clams on the half shell, PE Mysis, fresh Nori and fresh Ulva, I collected at the beach, its colors have dramatically improved and HLLE is looking better, but I dont expect it to fully recover because most fish when they get it will be left with some scar tissue....GL

OP
OP
EZMAC114

EZMAC114

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best picture I could get for now...you can see the marks around his eye
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411776122.496713.jpg

OP
OP
EZMAC114

EZMAC114

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I am going to try first is to do a 20 gallon water change and change the type of carbon that I am using because I just started using Chemi-pure Elite and was told that the carbon is so powdery that it will leak through the nylon bag which I see has happened because it is on the bottom of my sump and when I top off my water it gets stirred up and pulled through the return pump up into the display tank. I have read and been told that carbon is a suspected reason that tangs get HLLE

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me, I would try to siphon out as much of the powder as possible and put a temporary 50 to 100 micron sock on the drain to help catch the free-floating particles.

Excellent advice from MIKE NY. I would also suggest soaking algae sheets in Selcon.

OP
OP
EZMAC114

EZMAC114

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me, I would try to siphon out as much of the powder as possible and put a temporary 50 to 100 micron sock on the drain to help catch the free-floating particles.

Excellent advice from MIKE NY. I would also suggest soaking algae sheets in Selcon.

Sorry I forgot to put in there that I am going to siphon out the carbon particles as well

Last edited:

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you rinse the carbon before placing it in the sump?

I have cured a severe case of HLLE on our purple tang by using Melafix Marine and Epson Salts with good food in a QT tank...

OP
OP
EZMAC114

EZMAC114

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I rinsed them...my LFS said that even after you rinse the Chemi-pure bags he has seen problems like I had with them still seeping

OP
OP
EZMAC114

EZMAC114

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is most of the carbon that I got out of the sump. There is still some in there but I couldn't get it all. I hope this will help!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412041513.465958.jpg

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 86 44.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 67 34.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 27 13.9%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back