design for my custom 188 gallon

litenyaup

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
let me know what you guys think about the design for any aspect of this. im only doing it once, so i want to get it right!:tongue:
the tank is going to be all glass...not acrylic

the stand i want to be 37"tall, and the hood i want to be 16" tall. other than that all other measurments are there.

thanks for all the input!!:nerd:

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 339
Last edited:
OP
OP
litenyaup

litenyaup

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had a 170 acrylic tank, and found out quickly that i would never own another one. i spent a lot of time getting out all the scratches and after about a month......they were back. no matter how careful i was about how i cleaned it, it scratched. dont get me wrong it was a great tank, but not for me. and i didnt like the idea of how it bowed out....kinda scary!

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well there is the reason it scratched.. It was a under built tank.. A properly built tank will have zero deflection and when it is nice and flat they don't scratch as easy with scrapers etc.. ;)

I

inactive

View Badges
Ugh, never use a scraper on acrylic... My opinion is: If you get acrylic.... baby it by hand when you clean it... it will stay CRYSTAL all day.... cutting corners will just create more with for you. If you don't like putting your arm in water, this hobby may not be for you!

(I'm so stoked on my acrylic frag tank!)

reefez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tank is going on a wall you could have a center overflow W/two returns one on each end & you would get better water flow & filtration.Just a thought you didnt say anything about plumbing. Also I have all acyrlic tanks & if you have any small kids you might think about it LOL . Glass breaks to easy IMHO.

OP
OP
litenyaup

litenyaup

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it is going to go on a wall, but the left side will be open to view. i have 2 koralia 5's going on a wave maker, or controller for water flow.

no kids so i don't have to worry about that. i would think acrylic would be worse with kids getting scratches....always touching, looking, breathing on it.....lol. ya sorry no kids, all my friends have them and there is 2' perimeter around the tank when they come over....just kidding all the kids love the tank "look its nemo, and dori!!"

TANKSALOT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What thickness is the glass going to be?
How about an over flow about a foot in from the left on the back glass and the right corner, just to allow more water volume turn over.

Had a client that had a 55 set up with kids. A small toy car got thrown at the tank and the front glass shattered
smile_sad.gif

But even with that said..... I prefer a glass tank over acrylic
smile_regular.gif

OP
OP
litenyaup

litenyaup

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just dont know if i want to have 2 overflows...more to think about and research.

OP
OP
litenyaup

litenyaup

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also what is everyones thoughts on starfire.....worth it or not so much?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back