Designer Clownfish Breeding

BrooksReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reef2Reef!

I'm going to start a log of my journey into breeding Clownfish. Hopefully I can get a bunch of good information and advice, and keep a fun documentation of this adventure! I plan on keeping it picture-intensive, so for those of you who enjoy cruddy iPhone pictures of beautiful fish, feel free to subscribe! :)

To start, I'll give a little bit of information regarding my tanks, and current broodstock. Keep in mind everyone, this is an ongoing build. Fortunately, I have been blessed with the ability to grow in size as I need it. I have TWO rooms that can be devoted fish rooms. And to top it all off, the other half supports and enjoys it just as much as I do! What more can you ask for in a loved-one?! :bigsmile::kiss:

THE TANKS :emptybath:

So, I might be a LITTLE crazy, but oh well. I have 8 tanks, with lots more to get going and set up. They are simple set ups that require daily maintenance and large weekly water changes.

Here we go!

25g CUBE!
Inhabitants: Rose BTA, 2 Blacker Ice Clownfish, 1 Skunk Cleaner

Equipment: Kessil 150, BakPak Skimmer, Koralia 1, Heater

Parameters:
Temperature: 83 degrees Fahrenheit
Salinity: 1.023
Ammonia/Nitrites: Undetectable
Nitrates: >10ppm

Additional information: The Clowns are probably 2 years old. They are exhibiting great pre-spawning behavior, and currently host in the RBTA. They are fed 4 x daily. I do a mixture of Hikari Mysis, Rod's Food - Breeder's Blend, and Otohime Pellets

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

2 x 10g AIO
Inhabitants: Each one has a bonded pair in them. In one, we have a breeding pair of Darwin's, in the other we have a bonded pair of SnowOnyx.

Equipment: Stock LED lighting (nothing special, but it does the trick), HOB AquaClear 30's modded into refugiums with chaeto and LR, heaters. These tanks require weekly water changes of 20-50%

Parameters:
Temperature: 84 degrees Fahrenheit
Salinity: 1.022-1.023
Nitrates: 10ppm-20ppm (depending on feedings)

Additional information: Both pairs are fed 4 x daily with a mixture of Rod's Food - Breeder's Blend, Hikari Mysis, and Otohime Pellets. I really have to keep up with water changes to keep the parameters in check. This is incredibly difficult to do, but somehow I've managed it. Before the water changes, I make sure to keep the water the same temperature and salinity as the tank. I top off with heated fresh water as needed to keep the salinity stable.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

2 x Marineland 10g

Inhabitants: Each tank is a pair of clowns in it. One has a pair of Wyoming Whites, the other is a pair of Maine Blizzards (Platinums).
Equipment: Cheap Office Depot clip-on lighting, AquaClear 50s modded into refugiums with chaeto/live rock, heaters.

Temperature: 84 degrees Fahrenheit
Salinity: 1.022
Nitrates: >10ppm

Additional information: I am absolutely in LOVE with my Wyoming Whites. Their personalities are so funny. Its interesting to see the male bow down to the female. I love my Platinum pair as well. Their quite as adorable as my WWs, though.
:nerd:

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

40g Custom

Inhabitants: NONE.... yet
:xd:

Equipment: Cheap clip-on lights from Office Depot, 20g sump, Ehiem return, Bubble Magus skimmer, refugium with live rock/cheato.

Additional information: I am thinking of draining the water from the display, and partitioning and siliconing in different chambers, so I can use it as additional broodstock areas.

I will add pictures in the morning when the lights are on, as well as finish covering the rest of the tanks. :)

All the best,
Brooks

ReefPops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brooks, I know nothing about breeding clowns, but I am excited to hear how your adventure goes. You have some nice clowns and there's not denying that. Best of luck with it and can't wait for updates.

OP
OP
B

BrooksReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much, Chrissie!

I am eager to get some fry going! I am still selecting my broodstock, though. I have a large group order coming in and will have 6-8 clowns to sell, and might list them on here!

OP
OP
B

BrooksReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I promised pictures! Here we go! Round 1 of the fishy room!
CLICK DISTORTED PICTURES FOR VIDEOS.

Fishy Room:
imagecopy2_zps0bd3a313.jpeg

Platinums & Wyoming Whites as their tanks were getting ready:
imagecopy5_zpsa76934b0.jpeg

Wyoming Whites:

Black & White:

Blacker Ice:

imagecopy_zpsf1e6ec00.jpeg

imagecopy6_zps1cd1c2e4.jpeg

Snow Onyx Pair #1:
image_zpsf8e359d5.jpeg

imagecopy3_zps8f808a59.jpeg

Platinums:
imagecopy4_zps2bebab40.jpeg

Last edited:

Clownfish Depot

Clownfish Breeder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the breeding thread. You have a nice assortment of pairs. Keep the water temps high(82-83), 16 hr light period, and feed them as much as possible. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

JasonPG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always looking forward to another breeding thread and you've got some great looking pairs.

First bit of advice, the skunk cleaner has to go.

If and when the clowns go sexual, they'll kill it. And even if the skunk learns to hide in the corner, he'll demolish the fry on hatch night.

OP
OP
B

BrooksReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always looking forward to another breeding thread and you've got some great looking pairs.

First bit of advice, the skunk cleaner has to go.

If and when the clowns go sexual, they'll kill it. And even if the skunk learns to hide in the corner, he'll demolish the fry on hatch night.

Thanks Jason, I appreciate the warm welcome. :)

And I greatly appreciate the advice regarding the skunk cleaner. I will take him out soon! :)

oceancube

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you need any compact walmart setups let me know brooks i know a person selling a few ill give you contact number, i bought a few myself and they are excellent 6 chamber setups!! looking good btw

OP
OP
B

BrooksReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Texted ya, Rudy!

Meanwhile... in the deepest depths of the fish room....

One insert in the 40g is in... and it looks janky, to say the least. Oh well, it isn't for looks. :S
image_zps792d141b.jpeg

The rotifers...
imagecopy2_zpseadb1ae7.jpeg

Live rock I have curing (again) for new set ups...
imagecopy_zps916bb52b.jpeg

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 30 52.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 21.1%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 12 21.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.3%
Back