Designing flow for large and tall tank

SlowAndStupid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting to think about powerhead and/or gyres for my redesigned tank and looking for some opinions. My tank is 7 feet long, 3 feet deep, and 5 feet tall. Due to the nature of its design it will be difficult to move powerheads/gyres once it is full. When ran as a freshwater tank I used a single gyre up high in the tank and a closed loop pump within the tank moving water from the top of the water column down to pvc hidden below the sand to help mix and move water up and into the overflows. It did not require much in the way of flow.

I am now considering two gyres up top and either two gyres further down or more powerheads instead to give me more options for adjusting the flow as I transition to a reef tank. The current plan would be for a mixed reef tank with SPS up higher on the rockscape and lower flow/lower PAR-demanding corals nearer the bottom.

Aquarium flow.jpg

Which option would be better up high? The blue squares would be two gyres on either end opposing each other or the pink with two gyres at the back pushing flow towards the front?

What would be a better option down lower? An additional two gyres at either end placed vertically? Or multiple powerheads low at the ends of the tanks?

Looking forward to some opinions here. Thanks!

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 6ea MP60's in my 5x5x3 tank They are down med to low. I have 3ea 1 1/2 sea swirls for returns. My pump is a :

Brandont21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Theres a fella here who used thrusters. They move a ton of water and quite a bit cheaper than mp60’s. Heres the link.

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a tank that size, flow is actually critical because you need to ensure the detritus ends up in the filtration and not just rotting in some corner. Being so tall will make cleaning some locations a challenge. This also goes for maintaining any flow device you use.

Also as a point of reference “gyre” can refer to either a powerhead style or bulk tank flow. We can get the latter with any powerhead, the gyre style powerheads just make it easier in smaller tanks.

Were this my setup, I would use 4 large powerheads in pairs on either side. These would be about 1/3 and 2/3 down on either side. The top one of the pair would run higher flow vs lower one and each side is out of sync with the opposing side. Then I would have two as low as I could reach on the back wall pointed down/in to blow anything out from the back of the tank.

What I’m not seeing in your diagram is an overflow. Do you have one? Location?

Dmmz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t wait to see this in a few months!

OP
OP
S

SlowAndStupid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty sure I want to go with a gyre up high. @RocketEngineer what I think I hear from you is you would go with the blue bar placement rather than pink? Then regular powerheads elsewhere.

Would you do an additional 2 in front on either end with a gyre above or just one power head on either side in the front? Finally, I think the recommendation for powerheads in the back to avoid dead space there makes sense and will add that to my plan.

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, the pink ones are counterproductive because you want the flow pushing gunk towards the overflows, not away from them. The blue locations and green locations would do that better.

On a side note, I’ve never been impressed with the gyre style powerheads as my research has shown they need a lot more maintenance to keep clean vs a propeller style. I get the goal with the output flow shape but in a tank as big as yours, you need something that moves a lot of water either way. More tradition propeller pumps have survived the test of time. Tunze and Neptune pumps are my first choice because they work and work well. JMO.

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting to think about powerhead and/or gyres for my redesigned tank and looking for some opinions. My tank is 7 feet long, 3 feet deep, and 5 feet tall. Due to the nature of its design it will be difficult to move powerheads/gyres once it is full. When ran as a freshwater tank I used a single gyre up high in the tank and a closed loop pump within the tank moving water from the top of the water column down to pvc hidden below the sand to help mix and move water up and into the overflows. It did not require much in the way of flow.

I am now considering two gyres up top and either two gyres further down or more powerheads instead to give me more options for adjusting the flow as I transition to a reef tank. The current plan would be for a mixed reef tank with SPS up higher on the rockscape and lower flow/lower PAR-demanding corals nearer the bottom.

Aquarium flow.jpg

Which option would be better up high? The blue squares would be two gyres on either end opposing each other or the pink with two gyres at the back pushing flow towards the front?

What would be a better option down lower? An additional two gyres at either end placed vertically? Or multiple powerheads low at the ends of the tanks?

Looking forward to some opinions here. Thanks!
What kind of stone is that?

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This! This is what I did... My tank isn't nearly as big, but I'm running 4 Gyre 350's and 4 vortechs.... I'm currently pushing 137 times my system volume.... SPS LOVE IT!!!

With a tank that size, flow is actually critical because you need to ensure the detritus ends up in the filtration and not just rotting in some corner. Being so tall will make cleaning some locations a challenge. This also goes for maintaining any flow device you use.

Also as a point of reference “gyre” can refer to either a powerhead style or bulk tank flow. We can get the latter with any powerhead, the gyre style powerheads just make it easier in smaller tanks.

Were this my setup, I would use 4 large powerheads in pairs on either side. These would be about 1/3 and 2/3 down on either side. The top one of the pair would run higher flow vs lower one and each side is out of sync with the opposing side. Then I would have two as low as I could reach on the back wall pointed down/in to blow anything out from the back of the tank.

What I’m not seeing in your diagram is an overflow. Do you have one? Location?

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine isn't nearfly that big, 8ft x2ft deep x30inches tall, 300g. I run 2 350 Gyres on top opposite ends of tank, running opposite each other on a 5 minute timer up to 70% to create a current, then I got 3 mp40's on the back wall on a High Energy Reef setting at 80% to agitate the water more. You'd need more Gyres and need mp60's instead of 40's IMO. I'd double up on the Gryes on either side, since your tank is so deep. Here's a pic, I think you can see my powerheads in there. mostly softy tank. The gyres do a very good job of turning the water over inside the tank and the 40's pretty much eliminated any dead spots I had. My rockwork does not touch the back wall, there is space for water flow behind it.

I read an article, here I think maybe, that spoke more to the need to not have any "dead" spots in your tank caused by a lack of water movement being more important that hitting perfect 50x tank volume flow rate. In many instances that can by way to much flow for some coral and you'd need to back your powerheads down anyway. I believe the intention was to place more powerheads to stir the water in all corners, rather than just 1 or 2 really large powerheads moving most of the water.

mar22.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back