Diagnose and treatment, please

Katy did

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
425631-054eba90e384b7897e58cc0de1ccb54c.jpg

What say you reef family. Kole tang I've had in tank for about 3 weeks. Scopas was added 4 days ago. No signs on other fish. Haven't had any signs either. Kole is actually acting healthier than ever. I have an idea, but wanted to hear other ideas.

IMG_0845.JPG

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell from the pictures. It almost looks like flukes, but that could just be the picture since flukes aren't usually that visible. Also looks as if there is a bit of a bacterial infection setting in in places.

any symptoms to go along with? Flashing, scratching, yawning, head twitching, breathing heavy, swimming into the flow of a powerhead? Can you do a freshwater dip?

OP
OP
Katy did

Katy did

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell from the pictures. It almost looks like flukes, but that could just be the picture since flukes aren't usually that visible. Also looks as if there is a bit of a bacterial infection setting in in places.

any symptoms to go along with? Flashing, scratching, yawning, head twitching, breathing heavy, swimming into the flow of a powerhead? Can you do a freshwater dip?

Not sure of other symptoms. He has actually been more visible. He started swimming around more about 2 days after we put the scopas in. We were thinking Brooklynella. Will do a freshwater dip tomorrow and quarantine. I have to go out and get a 10 gl tank. How long on quarantine? 6 weeks, if it lives? Will it be o.k. in main tank until tomorrow? Today is the first I've seen this. Thank you.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That spot by the tail looks kinda like a fluke, but he also looks like he's got a bacterial infection.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure of other symptoms. He has actually been more visible. He started swimming around more about 2 days after we put the scopas in. We were thinking Brooklynella. Will do a freshwater dip tomorrow and quarantine. I have to go out and get a 10 gl tank. How long on quarantine? 6 weeks, if it lives? Will it be o.k. in main tank until tomorrow? Today is the first I've seen this. Thank you.

The freshwater dip will tell us a lot. The bacterial infection is probably the biggest problem for this guy right now. It's hard to say if he will be fine overnight or not. Infections are very difficult to diagnose and treat simply because there are many bacterium out there and two types (gram positive and gram negative) One of which is fairly slow acting and the other which can kill quicker than velvet. Each fish's immune system is different and having other parasites involved will change the prognosis as well.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not brook; flukes and/or a bacterial infection is most likely. Also, any anemones or stinging corals in your tank he might have brushed up against?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back