Diamond Tail Wrasse Beginning To List Slightly

64Ivy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had him in QT alone for about two weeks now. Just completed 10 days of Metro and about to begin Prazi treatment. But just today I noticed that he's swimming at a bit of a list and will occasionally struggle to right himself. He still eating well though. Any clue? Should I continue the planned Prazi treatment? Copper? Something else? TIA.

OP
OP

64Ivy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No video, sorry. Breathing seems normal but I actually had to coax him out of his pvc cave to eat tonight...which he did. I DID notice that he would flash against his pvc once or twice; first time he's ever done that too. Definitely sick. But with what?

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When was your last water change ? Did you run any carbon after metro ?
How’s the water movement in the qt ?

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im concerned about a possible spinal injury from being spooked. If this is the case, and I hope its not, it will resolve itself or it won't. Hope the best for you and your fish.

OP
OP

64Ivy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last water change was done today. Have not run any carbon yet. Water movement provided by Tunze nano power head as well as Aqua Clear filter return. Tank is 20g so movement is pretty good.

His swimming pattern doesn’t seem like it would be caused by a spinal injury; it’s not a head-up or down display. It’s more like he’s fighting to not roll onto his side. Oh, and if it helps with the diagnosis, his tail seems a bit more clamped than usual.

Unless I’m instructed not to, I’m still planning to begin his Prazi treatment tomorrow, ok?

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last water change was done today. Have not run any carbon yet. Water movement provided by Tunze nano power head as well as Aqua Clear filter return. Tank is 20g so movement is pretty good.

His swimming pattern doesn’t seem like it would be caused by a spinal injury; it’s not a head-up or down display. It’s more like he’s fighting to not roll onto his side. Oh, and if it helps with the diagnosis, his tail seems a bit more clamped than usual.

Unless I’m instructed not to, I’m still planning to begin his Prazi treatment tomorrow, ok?
See if you can get a video of him, we can help you figure out how to post it if you're having trouble. I would hold off on prazi maybe for a few days as this will stress him slightly and also potentially suppress his appetite. I would try to get him stronger with regular feedings for a few days and re-evaluate.

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Is he thin right after his gills? White stringy poop? I battled intestinal issue on mine for a while.

OP
OP

64Ivy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't seem to be thin. No stringy poop; just completed 10 day Metro treatment. Will hold off on the Prazi for awhile. Should I run carbon to remove any excess medication? Change water again?

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't seem to be thin. No stringy poop; just completed 10 day Metro treatment. Will hold off on the Prazi for awhile. Should I run carbon to remove any excess medication? Change water again?
Running carbon isn’t a bad idea and neither is a water change

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree we need a video — I suspect swim bladder if not spinal injury but a video would ease in identification of the ailment.

OP
OP

64Ivy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got video. However, upon trying to upload it (on a Mac), I keep getting some sort of 'extension not accepted' error message. My video extension is m4v. What would I need to change it to and how do I do that?

OP
OP

64Ivy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you can see, I hope, the listing has gotten much worse. Now it DOES look like some kind of spinal injury. What’s the prognosis on something like this?

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you can see, I hope, the listing has gotten much worse. Now it DOES look like some kind of spinal injury. What’s the prognosis on something like this?
Unfortunately, that does look like a spinal injury. Usually it does not end well but you never know. You can continue to feed him and see in a 2-3 weeks if there's any improvement. I had this happen to 2 fairy wrasses. A super male lineatus and super male pink margin, had to euthanize both. Im sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This wont help now but when I QT fairy wrasses I have a special tank for them, its a 30g extra high. Wrasses have a tendency to shoot up in the water column when spooked and since transferring to this QT for fairy wrasses a spinal injury hasn't occurred again. I also spray paint all sides, except the front, black to reduce reflections. Food for thought in the future.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 55 30.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 47 26.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 36 20.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back