Diatom filter for treating external parasites?

Keepswiming

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a thought for any wine who would like to use this technique of parasite control. If you are stocking a new tank for much less money you could employ a Marineland Magnum internal polisher in you QT tank. Filter is about $45 and with DE powder you are in this set up for $60-80. For bigger applications a Vortex, larger pleated cartridge or a pool filter would make sense but for a small application the magnum has potential.
I am stocking a new 120 build and would love to give this a try. Any write-ups or videos of the process that you know of? Or I can just go through this entire thread and figure it out. Thanks!

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am stocking a new 120 build and would love to give this a try. Any write-ups or videos of the process that you know of? Or I can just go through this entire thread and figure it out. Thanks!

Reefs.com has a YouTube video on the magnum as a DE filter done by reefwiser.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just a thought for any wine who would like to use this technique of parasite control. If you are stocking a new tank for much less money you could employ a Marineland Magnum internal polisher in you QT tank. Filter is about $45 and with DE powder you are in this set up for $60-80. For bigger applications a Vortex, larger pleated cartridge or a pool filter would make sense but for a small application the magnum has potential.

I tried one - problem was (granted it was a larger tank) it clogged within 24 hours. Finally I just gave up.

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started using a MarineLand polishing filter as a supplement to my QT process. I run it during the copper ramp up timeframe as extra insurance.

I use the DE food grade from amazon. ML gives you easy to follow instructions. Get a bucket of RODI and add in 6 tablespoons of DE with the filter and let it run until the water is clear then throw it in your QT. I use it in a 20 and 29G QT

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried one - problem was (granted it was a larger tank) it clogged within 24 hours. Finally I just gave up.
A DE filter if you want to run it a long time in the tank. All you have to do is buy a spare filter. When you see a lot of bubbles coming out that means the filter is clogged and needs to be cleaned and recharged with DE, So what I do is remove the Filter then remove the old cartridge filter. Clean the filter housing install the new filter. Then charge the filter with DE and put it back in the tank. I then take the clogged filter and using my hands I clean all the DE off the filter under running water. Then place the filter in a bucket of 50/50 bleach for 24 hours to sanitize the filter and be ready for the next time to use.

HomeSlizzice

Wrasse/Angelfish nut!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question if using a brs reactor with a 1 micron sediment filter...

So, with the water we are concerned about the theronts, right?

So I basically gleened my idea from combining some info from this thread and a thread by @FarmerTy ( https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/ttm-in-conjunction-with-uv.224489/ ) with some info from @cmcoker ...

"My idea would be , tank 1 for 3 days, have tank 2 filled with new water and ready, move fish in there. Pump water from tank 1 to tank 3 via UV, circulate with UV; sterilize tank 1. After 3 days, pump tank 3 back into tank 1, move fish into tank 1. Pump tank 2 water into tank 3 with UV and circulate, sterilize tank 2. repeat until done.

So, basically tank 3 is for processing water with UV between transfers."

Knowing the current life cycles of Ich and Velvet you could also speed up the times between transfers to every 36 (24-46) hours (velvet has a 48 window). Or just stick with the 72 hour max for Ich.

I think this could theoretically be done with a sediment filter instead of UV, correct?

Example:
1. Tank 1 for 36 hours, have tank 2 filled with new water and ready, move fish in there.
2. Pump water from tank 1 to tank 3 via 1 micron Sediment filter which should filter tank 1/3 water of parasites. Sanitize and Dry tank 1.
3. After 36 hours, transfer fish from tank 2 to tank 3.
4. Pump tank 2 water back into tank 1 via 1 micron Sediment filter which should filter tank 2 water of parasites. Sanitize and Dry tank 2.
5. repeat process

Could any parasites slip by?

This could be a way to save water for those who are concerned about total water usage, salt cost, etc... Thoughts?

HomeSlizzice

Wrasse/Angelfish nut!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question if using a brs reactor with a 1 micron sediment filter...

So, with the water we are concerned about the theronts, right?

So I basically gleened my idea from combining some info from this thread and a thread by @FarmerTy ( https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/ttm-in-conjunction-with-uv.224489/ ) with some info from @cmcoker ...

"My idea would be , tank 1 for 3 days, have tank 2 filled with new water and ready, move fish in there. Pump water from tank 1 to tank 3 via UV, circulate with UV; sterilize tank 1. After 3 days, pump tank 3 back into tank 1, move fish into tank 1. Pump tank 2 water into tank 3 with UV and circulate, sterilize tank 2. repeat until done.

So, basically tank 3 is for processing water with UV between transfers."

Knowing the current life cycles of Ich and Velvet you could also speed up the times between transfers to every 36 (24-46) hours (velvet has a 48 window). Or just stick with the 72 hour max for Ich.

I think this could theoretically be done with a sediment filter instead of UV, correct?

Example:
1. Tank 1 for 36 hours, have tank 2 filled with new water and ready, move fish in there.
2. Pump water from tank 1 to tank 3 via 1 micron Sediment filter which should filter tank 1/3 water of parasites. Sanitize and Dry tank 1.
3. After 36 hours, transfer fish from tank 2 to tank 3.
4. Pump tank 2 water back into tank 1 via 1 micron Sediment filter which should filter tank 2 water of parasites. Sanitize and Dry tank 2.
5. repeat process

Could any parasites slip by?

This could be a way to save water for those who are concerned about total water usage, salt cost, etc... Thoughts?

Anyone try this or have feedback?

Seadoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few of thoughts/questions:
1) It seems that the biggest "problem" with DE filters is their propensity for clogging after a few hours/days. Would it be feasible to create a staggered filtering system so bigger particles are filtered before the DE canister? Same thing could be postulated for "BRS-type" sediment filters. Using a stepped filtering approach could avoid depleting the capacity of the small pore filters too soon.
2) I have been trying to find without luck information regarding any parasite attachment mechanisms to the substrate. Are the encysting forms easy to dislodge or do they secure themselves to the substrate and can not be easily pushed into the water column?
3) Although it is likely that DE filters can't eradicate parasitic infections in DTs, I wonder if this is possible in a QT environment where there are fewer places for cystic forms to hide and agitation of the QT bottom is easily done. I saw in this thread that some have used DE filters as part of quarantine protocols. For those who have, are there any differences in quarantine time or need for chemicals/medications when using DE or any other 1 micron filters? Do you agitate/aspirate the bottom of the QT when you suspect ich/velvet? If this holds, it may be a great approach for new systems to avoid introduction of parasites through fish and I wonder if it could also be extrapolated to inverts/corals.

skr791346

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a difference between food grade DE powder vs pool shop DE powder? Looking to purchase on Amazon but wanted to make sure to get the right type.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Food grade doesn't work at all. I (stupidly) have a bag of it and water doesn't flow through it

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few of thoughts/questions:
1) It seems that the biggest "problem" with DE filters is their propensity for clogging after a few hours/days. Would it be feasible to create a staggered filtering system so bigger particles are filtered before the DE canister? Same thing could be postulated for "BRS-type" sediment filters. Using a stepped filtering approach could avoid depleting the capacity of the small pore filters too soon.
2) I have been trying to find without luck information regarding any parasite attachment mechanisms to the substrate. Are the encysting forms easy to dislodge or do they secure themselves to the substrate and can not be easily pushed into the water column?
3) Although it is likely that DE filters can't eradicate parasitic infections in DTs, I wonder if this is possible in a QT environment where there are fewer places for cystic forms to hide and agitation of the QT bottom is easily done. I saw in this thread that some have used DE filters as part of quarantine protocols. For those who have, are there any differences in quarantine time or need for chemicals/medications when using DE or any other 1 micron filters? Do you agitate/aspirate the bottom of the QT when you suspect ich/velvet? If this holds, it may be a great approach for new systems to avoid introduction of parasites through fish and I wonder if it could also be extrapolated to inverts/corals.
I'm using DE filtration for NPS softies, here's my DIY filter can be smaller to. 5 Micron filter seams the best

I charge 1-2 weeks

My favorite link

https://web.archive.org/web/2015070...articles/management/Lawler_Diatomfilters.html

20190605_140448.jpg

20190607_095934.jpg

20190606_104658.jpg

skr791346

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you running your DE filtration 24/7 in your NPS system? If so, have you noticed any negative response from corals, inverts or fish?
None, some large Aquarium institutions run 24/7. DE filters in refugium away from DT. Dosing food in DT. Give corals time to eat before food goes to DE filter. I love it. Some members here run for SPS,LPS, surprisingly and especially for FOWLR.

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None, some large Aquarium institutions run 24/7. DE filters in refugium away from DT. Dosing food in DT. Give corals time to eat before food goes to DE filter. I love it. Some members here run for SPS,LPS, surprisingly and especially for FOWLR.

Thinking about a whole system DE filter for my new FOWLR build. Who are some members with them on their FOWLR systems? I would love to ask them a couple questions!

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 175 72.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 45 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back