Diatoms and trace amounts of silica?

corsi1330

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any ideas on this: I have 2 tanks on 1 system. I have been fighting a diatom problem on my display tank and not my frag tank "same water". I have tested my water in both tanks, sump, make-up water with a silica test kit and come up with trace amounts. I run GFO and even sent my water to a online service which also confirmed no silica. The only difference in tanks is one uses MH and the other is T-5's. My system is over a year old anyone with any thoughts on how to make this go away? Thanks in advance.

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen certain types of bulbs cause this, Current in particular..
I would be willing to bet it is your lighting... Old bulbs can lead to big issues..

OP
OP
C

corsi1330

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen certain types of bulbs cause this, Current in particular..
I would be willing to bet it is your lighting... Old bulbs can lead to big issues..

I run a Current Outer Orbit fixture??? With there 10K bulb 250w.

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an observation.. I had 6 customers that had diatoms & after switching to different bulbs they went away. Not sure how old the bulbs were since I did not install the fixtures. But, if the tank is sharing the same water & the only difference is the lighting, seems like the only logical answer..

BlazinNano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree about the current bulb. I have the Aquapod that I ran the stock bulb for 8 months. I could never get the hair algae to go completely away nor the diatoms. I got a AquaMaxx bulb now and it had been a month and the tank looks a lot cleaner. Change the bulb.

OP
OP
C

corsi1330

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an observation.. I had 6 customers that had diatoms & after switching to different bulbs they went away. Not sure how old the bulbs were since I did not install the fixtures. But, if the tank is sharing the same water & the only difference is the lighting, seems like the only logical answer..

Thanks for your help. I am not a fan of this bulb/balast combo anyway. I was thinking of switching to a Ice cap ballast with 14k Phoenix or 12k reeflux and this could be just the excuse I need to do it.

litenyaup

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
old bulbs bro...happened to me with the diatoms, even the same fixture!!

OP
OP
C

corsi1330

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could be the old bulbs brian. i hadnt thought about that. i thought you bought phoenix bulbs?

I did run the 14k phoenix on it for 4-5 months and did not have diatoms for the fist couple of months. I have been rolling with the stock Current bulb for the last couple of months. Maybe this magnetic ballast overdrives these bulbs so hard they go bad quicker?

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 31 15.4%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 47 23.4%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 115 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.0%
Back