Diatoms... how do I get rid of them?

FishLover01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does look like diatoms to me. I've dealt with it before. Just have patience and let the tank run its course. I also see what appears to be green algae on the live rock. Just curious, how long do you leave the lights on daily and does sunlight directly hit the tank?

OP
OP
TylerMoralez

TylerMoralez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does look like diatoms to me. I've dealt with it before. Just have patience and let the tank run its course. I also see what appears to be green algae on the live rock. Just curious, how long do you leave the lights on daily and does sunlight directly hit the tank?

That green algae was already on the rock when I purchased it. I leave my lights on a timer that turn on during sunrise and turn off at sunset

GnarcoticFiend

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That green algae was already on the rock when I purchased it. I leave my lights on a timer that turn on during sunrise and turn off at sunset
I’m going through the same thing and i’m not sure if it’s diatoms, did they ever go away for you? It’s like a dark brown coating on the top of the rocks only- not on the sand bed

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back