Difference between Eagle Eyes and Wham Watermelon

wicked demon

trained monkey
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having worked for a LFS, and being an avid zoa enthusiast for many years, I can say with some confidence that;
1-they are two completely different strains.
2-eagle eyes DO NOT come in from wild harvest mixed with radioactive dragon eyes, always WW mixed.
3-when placed side by side, for any period of time the difference will become apparent.

Nanofins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having worked for a LFS, and being an avid zoa enthusiast for many years, I can say with some confidence that;
2-eagle eyes DO NOT come in from wild harvest mixed with radioactive dragon eyes, always WW mixed.
3-when placed side by side, for any period of time the difference will become apparent.

From my experiences, I would agree.

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the sake of clarity, let me state that I also agree that the two are different strains - I also have both and I also have never had a EE become a WW or a WW become a EE. I simply find the subject of conversation interesting to consider. IME, I would say that it is much more likely that the WWs would fade into EEs, rather than the other way around, but again, I've never seen this happen. Given pigmentation in humans, and how it works, I would also say that is more likely. If we look at skin color or eye color, certain as you did Zack, we can argue that environmental conditions will cause some change, but that change is generally not perminant. Yet, we also must admit, based on the evidence of skin color and eye color, that certainly the possibility of that change remaining permenant does exist. Geneticists agree that brown is the default eye color in humans, yet obviously variations on that (blue, green, etc) do occur, and do breed true, yet we are all the same species (perhaps different strains or morphs, if you prefer). Since both mutation and environment can play a role, I don't think it that far of a stretch to say that something similar indeed could occur with zoas. Some changes may be caused by a specific tramatic event, yet I think it not unreasonable to admit that there is a possibility that such an event can also simply occur randomly or perhaps as a result of a less evident tramatic effect, perhaps something as simply as a swing in dKH levels?

Corigan

Reef-A-Holic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, the look different color wise in my tank. One looks red, the other looks orange. I posted pics earlier on of the two differences. I have had the EE's for about 2 years and the WW's for about 4 months. Both have different colors on the oral disc.

Ericm1205

Clownfish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my experience, that's more of an environmental impact. EEs that are very shaded will have less orange on the oral disc. Expose them to more light and the oral disc becomes almost completely one color. This also holds true for those radioactive dragon eyes, more light the higher probability the green covers the oral disc (and may even develop white spots).
CoralPedia.com! :: The definitive repository for named Corals!

i totally agree with you.different lights and enviorments leads to different colors and shadings.

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
To clear this up, can someone who has both throw them in the same tank for a few months, side by side, and take a photo?

Colors are EXTREMELY subjective in this hobby. Red is orange is pink is brown...

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back