Dinoflagellates my experience......h2o2 reefing tool!!!!!

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I havnt done a water change in weeks. I heard that made them worse. How often do you dose MB7. I have only been dosing 2 x a week but also vibrant 2 times and it has done nothing at all. Do you syphon daily or blow of rocks or add peroxide or just mb7 and phyto?
Don’t need to water change. Get some nice in tank algae to keep nutrients from exploding and provide safety for the protist munchers and away you go.

Red Sea 425 XL Mixed_Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone experimented with replacing RODI water changes for tap water changes during outbreaks of Dino’s in order to help increase algae growth and outcompet Dino growth. Just a thought. Ive been battling them off and on for several months. Just started dosing silicates daily. It just kinda dawned on me about replacing RODI water with tap water for the same reason. I haven’t tried it but I wonder if it would work ?

I run a kinda sterile reef. I have a ion exchanger and it’s supposed to be for 300 liters of RO water..

for some reason ( I think the water is to dirty where I live ) I can’t make more the 200 liters = 50 + - gallons. This got me silicate in my reef tank. ( I bought a electrical device now that checks my parameters in the R0 so it won’t happen again.)

this in combination with low nutrients no3 = 1 and po4 = 0,03 got Dinos in my tanks, I can’t speak for any one Els, but I believe this was the issue for my Dinos for sure...

I am now on the second day of the treatment. @brandon429 was brainstorming together with me for a h202 solution.

I reduced the light to 10-15 % bleu only and UV also 10-15 % for 5 hours. And Ive dosed little over 1 ml - 10 gallons

over a night I could see a big difference all ready. I have to say: the lights where reduced 2 days this morning.

no losses so far, my sand Is white as snow, I only have a little bit of dark color rocks but it’s looking natural ...

I can’t speak for the long term but I did a lot of surfing and searching as for so many people using h202 I convinced myself it’s safe to use so went for it...

I have a full LPS reef and so far I can’t be more pleased with the effects that I am seeing..

The crazy part is: I live in Holland and using this method is like unknown, and people might bash it or start a long argue conversations I rather avoid lol. But so far it has been a great outcome. After all the water changes and siphone etc. I feel like it’s going in the right direction..

Hope I didn’t cheer to soon! But I am planning to go back with normal light schedule on Wednesday and finish dosing till Friday...

22CE28FC-A9D7-4F50-BA21-891C426FF497.jpeg

Last edited:

BB Smith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
aaaaaaarrrrrrr just wanted to share my recent battle and how i won!!!!!!!!!
"i wish i took pics but i didn't..:("
so about 3 weeks ago my tank broke out pretty bad i mean bad!!!!!! my coast to coast overflow would get plugged and almost overflow my tank..... so i did my research and found numerous methods and even asked advice from top dogs like sunnyx and Mark Poletti who both recommended light's out for 3 days and raise my ph...so i tried this on 3 different occasions no luck!!!!:( getting ready to put a hammer through my tank i kept on looking for more info and trying to figure out why it happened.... it could have been one of 3 things...
#1 microbacter 7 od.
#2 vodka od.
#3 my ro membrane.....
im really leaning towards number 3 since i just replaced my membrane like 2 weeks before this happened.... i have a kent hi-s unit and the membrane was like 115$ to replace..arrrr so i searched around and found air water ice sold cheap ones for like 35$... keep in mind i have the hi-s meaning silicate removal.... i bought el cheapo membrane that didn't have the silicate removal or what ever the kent has."dino's love silicates".. then my problems arose... so after trying numerous things and never found anything that would kill the suckers off, i talked to a local biologist in my local club...."he recommends hydrogen peroxide 1ml per 10gallons of water daily" so i give that a shot "scared" i have a full blown sps reef, i dose .5ml per gallon on the first day... day 2 no change, so i do the recommended dose and wake up day 3 and the tank looks better.... after 5 days of dosing h202 my tank is clean again "yeah!!!!!!" i went ahead and dosed it for 7 days to make sure they don't come back lol.... i must say since adding the h202 over 9 days ago i have not had to wipe the glass once it stills sparkles!!!!! hmmmmmm got me wandering if i should dose a couple ml per day for ever lol..... thought's anyone????

BB Smith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
aaaaaaarrrrrrr just wanted to share my recent battle and how i won!!!!!!!!!
"i wish i took pics but i didn't..:("
so about 3 weeks ago my tank broke out pretty bad i mean bad!!!!!! my coast to coast overflow would get plugged and almost overflow my tank..... so i did my research and found numerous methods and even asked advice from top dogs like sunnyx and Mark Poletti who both recommended light's out for 3 days and raise my ph...so i tried this on 3 different occasions no luck!!!!:( getting ready to put a hammer through my tank i kept on looking for more info and trying to figure out why it happened.... it could have been one of 3 things...
#1 microbacter 7 od.
#2 vodka od.
#3 my ro membrane.....
im really leaning towards number 3 since i just replaced my membrane like 2 weeks before this happened.... i have a kent hi-s unit and the membrane was like 115$ to replace..arrrr so i searched around and found air water ice sold cheap ones for like 35$... keep in mind i have the hi-s meaning silicate removal.... i bought el cheapo membrane that didn't have the silicate removal or what ever the kent has."dino's love silicates".. then my problems arose... so after trying numerous things and never found anything that would kill the suckers off, i talked to a local biologist in my local club...."he recommends hydrogen peroxide 1ml per 10gallons of water daily" so i give that a shot "scared" i have a full blown sps reef, i dose .5ml per gallon on the first day... day 2 no change, so i do the recommended dose and wake up day 3 and the tank looks better.... after 5 days of dosing h202 my tank is clean again "yeah!!!!!!" i went ahead and dosed it for 7 days to make sure they don't come back lol.... i must say since adding the h202 over 9 days ago i have not had to wipe the glass once it stills sparkles!!!!! hmmmmmm got me wandering if i should dose a couple ml per day for ever lol..... thought's anyone????
So you actually dosed .5 cc per gallon (not per 10 gallons). Do you have fish also in aquarium

ELChingonsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone noticed a decrease in cyano while dosing hydrogen peroxide at 10 ml per gallon. I have a 88 gallon system. 300 liter red sea rimless tank. I have both cyano and dynoflaglates. I've beaten dynoflaglates before with uv and microbacter 7 . But never both at the same time. This is new to me having both. My plan is to beat dinos then add chemiclean. I have a mixed reef. Lots of expensive sps and lps..I'm very nervous

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone noticed a decrease in cyano while dosing hydrogen peroxide at 10 ml per gallon. I have a 88 gallon system. 300 liter red sea rimless tank. I have both cyano and dynoflaglates. I've beaten dynoflaglates before with uv and microbacter 7 . But never both at the same time. This is new to me having both. My plan is to beat dinos then add chemiclean. I have a mixed reef. Lots of expensive sps and lps..I'm very nervous
It’s 1ml per 10 gallon.. I’m currently doing it to fight some algae I have going on I believe is Dino’s again.. ugh… I tried chemi clean already and saw no improvement and none of my corals were affected.. currently dosing mb7 and h202 and seeing improvements after just 2 days..

Last edited:

ELChingonsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s 1ml per gallon.. I’m currently doing it to fight some algae I have going on I believe is Dino’s again.. ugh… I tried chemi clean already and saw no improvement and none of my corals were affected.. currently dosing mb7 and h202 and seeing improvements after just 2 days..
Your right 1 ml per gallon. Lol I miss typed that. I'm running a 15w uv sterilizer. The cyano was a problem before the dinos but now I have both. I'll try the h202 hopefully it works for me along with mb7 and uv

Karliefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can grow on the skeleton even if the coral is alive and doing well but you need to get rid of them by scraping them off as if they get higher up on the skeleton and reach the actual polyp that is when the damage will occur. If you are running an oxydator then after you clean up the growths and get rid of them they should IMO not come back as long as you also keep your water quality under control.

I will be writing an article on the use of the Oxydator and add it to the Article section hopefully today or tomorrow.

Use 6% H2O2 but make sure you have the right size Oxydator for your tank ... Here is a pic of the various models:

oxydator-oxydator.jpg
Can you point me to your Oxydator article? Thank you.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wanted to add: 1 mil per ten gallons is the tested mode

1 mil per gallon is massive. some losses can occur at that level that are not found at 1:10 ratio

1:1 is absolutely strong untested levels pretty much

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no doubt 1:1 helps in battles, but it will also bring in new animals that aren't currently on the peroxide sensitivity list, such as a few types of fish.

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wanted to add: 1 mil per ten gallons is the tested mode

1 mil per gallon is massive. some losses can occur at that level that are not found at 1:10 ratio

1:1 is absolutely strong untested levels pretty much
Good catch! I had typo fixing someone else’s typo whoops!

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is the best peroxide thread on the web TL

I have linked this about eight thousand times to skeptics on other forums

*****this very thread is perhaps the oldest peroxide work thread on the internet. I know Justin Credabel pretty much started the procedure in 09 but this thread here is the oldest I know, a true work thread. He told us in blogs how handy it was, but this thread here tracks no recycle events, animal preservation, target kills, all the stuff the skeptics initially doubted *in other people's tanks* and that's what makes it a work thread. if it was ten pages of how peroxide worked in just your tank, that's not a work thread or a helpful pattern.

when you read from scientists that anecdotal threads do not contribute to science, this thread here is proof that's not the case whatsoever. This is anecdote, but also VERY strong pattern I personally used to bring about 5000 people into peroxide dosing, all off your work T

We are about to get a macna speech at the podium telling us how anecdotes in reefing aren't helpful. threads like this will not be factored in that talk, I'll bet. nice way to stay underground but still doing actual work for the masses :) good job Troy.

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

*****this very thread is perhaps the oldest peroxide work thread on the internet. I know Justin Credabel pretty much started the procedure in 09 but this thread here is the oldest I know, a true work thread. He told us in blogs how handy it was, but this thread here tracks no recycle events, animal preservation, target kills, all the stuff the skeptics initially doubted *in other people's tanks* and that's what makes it a work thread. if it was ten pages of how peroxide worked in just your tank, that's not a work thread or a helpful pattern.

when you read from scientists that anecdotal threads do not contribute to science, this thread here is proof that's not the case whatsoever. This is anecdote, but also VERY strong pattern I personally used to bring about 5000 people into peroxide dosing, all off your work T

We are about to get a macna speech at the podium telling us how anecdotes in reefing aren't helpful. threads like this will not be factored in that talk, I'll bet. nice way to stay underground but still doing actual work for the masses :) good job Troy.
Thank you for the kind words! It still works till this day lol.. I just beat Dino’s in my new tank in 4 days with mb7 and h202… I battled them for a month with a turkey baster and said nope I’m done! Back to my roots and it worked flawlessly for me again..

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assure you peroxide is the only thing that saved my reefbowl.

been doing reefbowls since 2001 and of course all original reef training says not to touch the reef pretty much, only actions we can take via the water/parameter controls were allowed to battle algae and various invasions. my first reefbowl 2001-2003 died of hideous red and green algae that I could not get out of the bowl no matter what I tried, red slime remover, chemi clean et al (the indirect means of the old guard)

so on round two reefbowl, 2006-present, I simply had the mentality that I'd take out a rock and blowtorch the section of algae if required as opposed to letting it take over and I passively sit by.

I knew sandbed waste built up 3 years in a one gallon vase was feeding a LOT of my invasions...so I told myself I'm going to break from no-touch tradition, and take apart my vase and rinse out the sand even if the sages said not to. if the reef died from that, so be it, at least it died while being manhandled clean vs passively watching my investment die a second time.

I did use blow torching lol, there's youtube videos on it. works but isn't very efficient

wet live rock is such a heat preventer that the holdfast cells of the targets aren't really burned, even if the topical growths are burned.

it was a lot like lawnmowing where the growback is fast.

Then I saw this thread in about '11, combined with snippets of what JCredabel put on some early blogs and I figured why not try peroxide and then the whole game changed.

it did NOT kill my reef

it did NOT cause a recycle

it did kill my algae, though cyclically I have to apply it occasionally since our reefs are always sinking back up the waste we remove during cleanings and because algae is rarely totally eradicated from a reef only suppressed

I honestly believe my reefbowl has had the most 35% peroxide put through it of any reef alive, and it's certainly had more rip cleans than any reef alive, which is why its the oldest pico reef alive. peroxide the world's best cheat saved my reefbowl and it would not be alive without peroxide.

I no longer care if it's cheating to force a reef to run seventeen years looking 100% not ever invaded, I'm just happy to have old corals for once.

peroxide is the most important tool I've ever seen in reefing.

year seventeen, due to peroxide:
reef1.jpeg

not one single invasion at all, the entire time, because it wasn't permitted. I didn't luck into that, it was forced not coaxed. I never dosed peroxide into the water though, I take out things and put peroxide right on the target.

one day it will be nice to not need peroxide, but that day has not come. there is no replacement for it's utility currently

this thread should never be unstickied its among the most tank-saving threads on reef2reef.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assure you peroxide is the only thing that saved my reefbowl.

been doing reefbowls since 2001 and of course all original reef training says not to touch the reef pretty much, only actions we can take via the water/parameter controls were allowed to battle algae and various invasions. my first reefbowl 2001-2003 died of hideous red and green algae that I could not get out of the bowl no matter what I tried, red slime remover, chemi clean et al (the indirect means of the old guard)

so on round two reefbowl, 2006-present, I simply had the mentality that I'd take out a rock and blowtorch the section of algae if required as opposed to letting it take over and I passively sit by.

I knew sandbed waste built up 3 years in a one gallon vase was feeding a LOT of my invasions...so I told myself I'm going to break from no-touch tradition, and take apart my vase and rinse out the sand even if the sages said not to. if the reef died from that, so be it, at least it died while being manhandled clean vs passively watching my investment die a second time.

I did use blow torching lol, there's youtube videos on it. works but isn't very efficient

wet live rock is such a heat preventer that the holdfast cells of the targets aren't really burned, even if the topical growths are burned.

it was a lot like lawnmowing where the growback is fast.

Then I saw this thread in about '11, combined with snippets of what JCredabel put on some early blogs and I figured why not try peroxide and then the whole game changed.

it did NOT kill my reef

it did NOT cause a recycle

it did kill my algae, though cyclically I have to apply it occasionally since our reefs are always sinking back up the waste we apply.

I honestly believe my reefbowl has had the most 35% peroxide put through it of any reef alive, and it's certainly had more rip cleans than any reef alive, which is why its the oldest pico reef alive. peroxide the world's best cheat saved my reefbowl and it would not be alive without peroxide.

I no longer care if it's cheating to force a reef to run seventeen years looking 100% not ever invaded, I'm just happy to have old corals for once.

peroxide is the most important tool I've ever seen in reefing.
That’s awesome man! Congrats!! It’s always worked for me.. I have a new battle I’ve never fought and that’s hair algae lol.. I should have never added new rocks to my tank that was 10 years old.. first step will be a clean up crew I currently don’t have any except bristle worms… it’s not bad yet but I’m seeing small patches all over about 3/16” long right now… rrrr

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope Richard Ross gives proper credit to anecdote where it's due. if he ever gives a talk on peroxide, pico reefs, rip cleans, nitrate and phosphate tuning, none of that will come from peer reviewed published articles on google scholar it'll come from a giant set of anecdotes full of very happy reefers.

scientists may not want to speak on peroxide since it's not peer reviewed, but eventually sheer public appreciation for it will command more talks than just what JC gave several years ago.

instead of dying out, peroxide is now a permanent tool in anyone's reefing option, to the total disdain lol of all old school reef sages. if peroxide in the reef was a fad, it would have lasted 24 mos max, not thirteen years.

on paper, it's supposed to wipe out a reef. oxidation equation balancing proves it.

on paper, coral allelopathy is supposed to prevent any pico reef from living.

paper does not always translate into reality, too many interacting variables at play I guess. those corals above are like: allelopathy schmellopathy we can take in eight more species if you have more magnet mounts.

Last edited:

Chucky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So I’m gonna jump on this train I’ve been watching vidz on YouTube on h202 in the reef tank with the battling gha anywho I’m battling some cyano and gha so I took the plunge and dosed roughly 2 mls to my 32g tank which I’m total is roughly 25g or total gallons of actual water volume… I instantly noticed my zoas close up after several hours they’re opening back up to normal however my shrooms look super weird like all funnel shaped if you will… does anyone know if this a negative effect from the 3% h202 I added today at roughly 3pm so 3 hours ago my time ? TIA

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m gonna jump on this train I’ve been watching vidz on YouTube on h202 in the reef tank with the battling gha anywho I’m battling some cyano and gha so I took the plunge and dosed roughly 2 mls to my 32g tank which I’m total is roughly 25g or total gallons of actual water volume… I instantly noticed my zoas close up after several hours they’re opening back up to normal however my shrooms look super weird like all funnel shaped if you will… does anyone know if this a negative effect from the 3% h202 I added today at roughly 3pm so 3 hours ago my time ? TIA
Never seen or heard of this.. was it lights out when you dozed? If the lights were on it would have dissipated pretty quickly.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 16 20.3%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 18 22.8%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 9 11.4%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 32 40.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back