dinoflagulates

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I beat it in bout 2 months. First while was "fixs". H202 , 72h blCkout, 120h blackout, raised alk to 12, got a dual reactor. In the end I beat them by shear determination. I vacuumed my sand and rocks through a layered poly pad into the sump twice a day for about a month. Kept alk high during this. Every time they grew back a little slower until finally it stopped. Didn't see any sign of them until I created my 30 gallon fuge.After I transferred A layer of sand from my old sump to my new fuge I started getting little streamers with the air bubble parachute off of the tips of my macros. Scared I went right back to siphoning every time I saw a strand it got stuck out. About two to three days of siphoning and it was gone again. Until my first macro clean out. I adgitated some of the sand bed in the process and for the next three days streamers again and siphoning. I asked on the boards And some people suggested that it may lie dormant in the deeper parts of the same bed.So my next macro clean out I stirred the sand up fairly well Sure enough it came back I siphoned and it Took about 4 or 5 days this time but it has not returned
since and I have done multiple clean outs. As with most things in salt I think it just takes determination and not allowing it to get a foothold. That's my experience. On a side note, Holy crap the whole amount of it can cover your tank in 20 to 30 minutes it is absurd how quick this stuff grows

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I beat it in bout 2 months. First while was "fixs". H202 , 72h blCkout, 120h blackout, raised alk to 12, got a dual reactor. In the end I beat them by shear determination. I vacuumed my sand and rocks through a layered poly pad into the sump twice a day for about a month. Kept alk high during this. Every time they grew back a little slower until finally it stopped. Didn't see any sign of them until I created my 30 gallon fuge.After I transferred A layer of sand from my old sump to my new fuge I started getting little streamers with the air bubble parachute off of the tips of my macros. Scared I went right back to siphoning every time I saw a strand it got stuck out. About two to three days of siphoning and it was gone again. Until my first macro clean out. I adgitated some of the sand bed in the process and for the next three days streamers again and siphoning. I asked on the boards And some people suggested that it may lie dormant in the deeper parts of the same bed.So my next macro clean out I stirred the sand up fairly well Sure enough it came back I siphoned and it Took about 4 or 5 days this time but it has not returned
since and I have done multiple clean outs. As with most things in salt I think it just takes determination and not allowing it to get a foothold. That's my experience. On a side note, Holy crap the whole amount of it can cover your tank in 20 to 30 minutes it is absurd how quick this stuff grows

my experience as well. interesting you went toward the substrate too.
only difference is i changed water loaded with peroxide.

and yes. this stuff will invade in minutes at it's worst.

arman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your posts.
Im steal dealing with this dino
But i dont no from where i provideh2o2

arman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read in another thread that for getting rid of dino you have to raise ph slowly by 0.6 .But h2o2 is acidic and will decrease the ph .
Whats your idea?
Can i provide it from drag stores?

arman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have to remove corals and fishes when you are doing this method?

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have to remove corals and fishes when you are doing this method?

if you dose by hand the 1ml to 10 gallon ratio. some shrimp will die.

if you use a doser over the course of 24 hours, even cleaner shrimp will live. (ive done both)

ph doesnt measureably drop ime using the recommended doseage.

raising ph .6 from what? im assuming 8.0? randy has an article at the ph method and if i remember correctly you would target 8.5-8.6 using kalk.

both increasing ph and peroxide both kill dinoflagellates.

i suggest reading up more on the subject as it seems you still need to use a multipronged approach to ridding the pest.

are you sure you have dino? pics?

thanks

arman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes ive done the experiment that siphoon some of them and passing them through a paper tpwel and putting them in ordinary light and they stick together .
Yes he siad that raising ph to8.6.

arman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
aa.jpg

OP
OP
jeeperndp2

jeeperndp2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok if this is cyno not sure why the red slime remover didn't do a thing to it. Actually it got worse with the treatment. Again there are alot of bubbles.

20151022_195343.jpg

20151022_195357.jpg

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote it 100% cyano in these pics, and red slime remover didn't fix it for me either I had to siphon remove

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it would be neat to see the filter pic where they regroup

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cyano has bubbles as well given if it is a "thick" mat.
ive had chemiclean knock out some cyano, and not dent others. roll of the dice sometimes.

arman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that dealing with cyno is much easier than dino because its so easy to remove and siphon but dino is not.
I was dealing with cyno about a year ago and after 2 or 3 months it just weakened and completely removed.
But now im dealing with dino and im really trying to remove it.
Wish me luck.

OP
OP
jeeperndp2

jeeperndp2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have siphoned and scrubbed with a tooth brush many, many times for nearly a year now. I will try the separation test today and post.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 107 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.6%
Back