Dinos or Diatoms I can’t get rid of it?

randyreef93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is driving me insane, I do regular water changes, I’ve even done the 3 day black out and this is not going away, the tank set up is approx 3-4 months old….

This is so unsightly….

IMG_3382.jpeg
IMG_3381.jpeg

Mwatts12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone’s going to give you a list of tasks for this. Most will not work and just be a quick bandaid.

But I promise. Leave it alone give it a while and it will go away naturally. Stop water changes for a while also.

The more you tinker the longer you’ll have it.

OP
OP
randyreef93

randyreef93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone’s going to give you a list of tasks for this. Most will not work and just be a quick bandaid.

But I promise. Leave it alone give it a while and it will go away naturally. Stop water changes for a while also.

The more you tinker the longer you’ll have it.
Thank you so if I don’t do water changes it’s going to get worse right lol? It’s awful I hate it!

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with this ^. When I started I thought wc's were the ticket. Over time and many wc's things did clear up but I've come to believe it wasn't the wc's. It was simply "time". Enough for nutrients to get to a higher level. Without nutrients, only that type of algae (dinos) will grow as they can use trace elements in the absence of no3 or po4. Dosing those directly might speed things up but careful not to overdo it. Truthfully tho if overdoing it caused a gha outbreak I'd welcome that as it takes a few minutes to fix that by hand and your in a better place growing gha than dinos... Imho

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 34 19.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 131 75.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.5%
Back