Discolored goniopora

Christian0505

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 2 years ago I purchased a very nice looking goniopora frag. It had bright red polyps with a blue/teilisch base. It has grown quite a bit over the years, but strangely all the new polyps don’t have any red in them.. The old polyps still have some red in them, but definetly not as bright.
it is right beside 3 other goniopora’s which have been there for the same amount of time, and are perfectly colored..

The goniopora is in about 100-150 par.
I dose manganese daily
Dosing Red Sea AB+, reef roids, gonio power and phyton from tropic marin 2-3 times a week, depending on po4 and no3 levels.

I’ve tried both high and low nutrients levels, but only noticed less polyp expansion when no3 was near 0. No color difference.

I do ICP-testing every 3-4 months to adjust any minor trace elements.

Tank is a Waterbox peninsula with 2x Radion g5 XR30 blue and t5 hybrid (2x ATI blue+ and 2x ATI actinics).

Any tips on how to get the original colour back is highly appreciated.

Initial frag
IMG_9853.jpeg

After one year
IMG_2251.jpeg

Now
IMG_4373.jpeg

Full tank shot for reference
IMG_4382.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 2 years ago I purchased a very nice looking goniopora frag. It had bright red polyps with a blue/teilisch base. It has grown quite a bit over the years, but strangely all the new polyps don’t have any red in them.. The old polyps still have some red in them, but definetly not as bright.
it is right beside 3 other goniopora’s which have been there for the same amount of time, and are perfectly colored..

The goniopora is in about 100-150 par.
I dose manganese daily
Dosing Red Sea AB+, reef roids, gonio power and phyton from tropic marin 2-3 times a week, depending on po4 and no3 levels.

I’ve tried both high and low nutrients levels, but only noticed less polyp expansion when no3 was near 0. No color difference.

I do ICP-testing every 3-4 months to adjust any minor trace elements.

Tank is a Waterbox peninsula with 2x Radion g5 XR30 blue and t5 hybrid (2x ATI blue+ and 2x ATI actinics).

Any tips on how to get the original colour back is highly appreciated.

Initial frag
IMG_9853.jpeg

After one year
IMG_2251.jpeg

Now
IMG_4373.jpeg

Full tank shot for reference
IMG_4382.jpeg
Have the others lost colour?

You may find it’s just an age thing.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find that Gonis will change based on lots of things. PAR , chemical composition of micro elements in the water, whether you feed them, heck I’ve had them change color based on flow . Maybe try changing location . I’ve done that before with good results.

OP
OP
Christian0505

Christian0505

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find that Gonis will change based on lots of things. PAR , chemical composition of micro elements in the water, whether you feed them, heck I’ve had them change color based on flow . Maybe try changing location . I’ve done that before with good results.

Would you suggest lower par based on the fact that it is the polyps near the bottom of the coral that still have some red in them?

rc8t6353

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed that with goni, lower par seems to bring it brighter colors. That's just my humble opinion lol. Gonis seem to be very sensitive

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It appears in the first year you for a lot of growth and new heads, and the color change to all red. And the second year growth halted and didn’t progress and there was another color shift. Have you had an icp test? Maybe you depleted a trace element

OP
OP
Christian0505

Christian0505

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It appears in the first year you for a lot of growth and new heads, and the color change to all red. And the second year growth halted and didn’t progress and there was another color shift. Have you had an icp test? Maybe you depleted a trace element
It has grown. Although growth slowed down significantly as I had to move houses last year. Nutrients were unstable for a while, but have been stable again for the last 6-8 months.
Please see below my latest icp test. No real depleted in my view. All elements have been adjusted according to this test.

Attachments

• 2023-12-22.pdf
    128.1 KB · Views: 9

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 37 30.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 44 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.1%
Back