Discussion question: Is "force feeding" a viable option?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm asking this out of pure curiosity. This is has nothing to do with any fish that I currently have.

Having had a few fish who, usually after a stressful shipping, seem to lack the energy to eat or recover drift off and die. I was wondering if force feeding has been done successfully with fish and if its an option we could be prepared for?

I personally keep syringes and corn syrup on hand as I help with rescue animals and that is the best way to revive a crashing mammal. I have tried this once on a fish that had swim bladder issues and though it eventually died it did seem to last much longer then it usually would.

I also have feeding tubes on hand and know how to use them with a mammal. Are fish roughly the same?

Last edited:

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a vet force feed one of my fish. I didn't ask for it but he was being treated for an infection and losing weight so the vet put some food in him. He made it.

I keep syringes and feeding needles on hand but haven't had to use them yet. I know people here or on other forums have done it, too.

Attachments

• gore2006.pdf
    674.7 KB · Views: 19
OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really should have searched the forums before posting this:

If anyone is interested heres a couple cute videos of animals I saved these ways. This flying squirrel wasn't visibly breathing when it was brought to me but after revving it with corn syrup and 24 hours later.
IMG_5186.jpeg

Then theres patches who required a few weeks of tube feeding but grew up to love the right things:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really should have searched the forums before posting this:

If anyone is interested heres a couple cute videos of animals I saved these ways. This flying squirrel wasn't visibly breathing when it was brought to me but after revving it with corn syrup and 24 hours later.
IMG_5186.jpeg

Then theres patches who required a few weeks of tube feeding but grew up to love the right things:

I read your post about the ornate wrasse - it probably isn't a good candidate for tube feeding - pretty small fish and easily stressed during handling. You get into a loop with those - each time you handle it to feed it, you set it back and then it will never eat on its own.

Jay

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read your post about the ornate wrasse - it probably isn't a good candidate for tube feeding - pretty small fish and easily stressed during handling. You get into a loop with those - each time you handle it to feed it, you set it back and then it will never eat on its own.

Jay
Thanks but I don’t think that’s me. I managed to keep a blue spot tamarin alive for a couple weeks by syringe feeding it but it eventually died. This was more asking if it is done successfully and only after posting it did I see your great article on your experience.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks but I don’t think that’s me. I managed to keep a blue spot tamarin alive for a couple weeks by syringe feeding it but it eventually died. This was more asking if it is done successfully and only after posting it did I see your great article on your experience.
Oh, sorry. I see now that you were the person who tagged the medics, not the OP.

Jay

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 34.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 31.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back