disease transfer from tank to tank

jacksin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The transfer of disease from a QT tank into my reef is one of my biggest nightmares. I have a 120 gallon system that I'm happy with my fish load. But I need a couple more for a FO system. So I have been and will be running a QT tank for a few more months until stocking is complete.
Of course if I add water from the QT tank to my reef, whatever is in the QT tank will soon be effecting the fish in the reef.
Its pretty much impossible to feed fish and perform water changes in a QT tank without getting water on your hands. My qt tank is in the cellar. So when I grab the doorknob with wet hands am I transferring the disease to the doorknob? So if I grab the doorknob an hour later then put my hands if my reef am I spreading the disease to that tank? Is it different for parasitic and bacterial diseases? Hope these questions aren't stupid. It's very stressing having a diseased fish in the house. thanks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We share the same fears. When I have a bunch of QTs running in my basement I don’t go near either of my displays until I have showered.

Or, if it’s manageable do maintenance on QTs in the am before work and DTs when I get home. My wife helps feed DTs. If a water change is necessary on a QT I just wait until I’m done messing with DTs.

OP
OP
J

jacksin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, I've never washed my hands so much in my life.
But, are these diseases transferable via inanimate objects?

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 49 40.2%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 62 50.8%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 5 4.1%
Back