Disease? Which type? Please help!

reefergy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased a "select pair" of ORA Spotcinctus Clownfish. I received them Tuesday morning. One of the fish appears healthy but the other one looked stressed on arrival but did not appear to be unhealthy. Today that fish is breathing heavily and sitting on the bottom of my tank. I have not been able to get it to eat. The other clownfish still looks and acts fine and is eating.

I have a 90 gallon tank with 30 gallon sump that has been up and running for about 6 months. Parameters are:

Amm = 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 2.5
pH = 8.0
PO4 = 0
Ca = 460
Mg = 1380
dKH = 7.7

Other tankmates are:

3 blue/green chromis
Starry Blenny
One Spot Foxface
Pearly Jawfish
Flame Angelfish

I've been in the hobby for a few years but (luckily) haven't had any experience with disease so I would appreciate any help! I've attached pictures of the affected fish. (Sorry I couldn't figure out how to turn the pictures. :squigglemouth:)

20140711_103232.jpg
20140711_103909.jpg
20140711_104019.jpg
20140711_104055.jpg
20140711_104059.jpg

OP
OP
R

reefergy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I've been looking at diseases and ich, brook and velvet all look very similar to me. So treat all fish with copper in quarantine and run the display fishless for one month?

Kostaskappa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I've been looking at diseases and ich, brook and velvet all look very similar to me. So treat all fish with copper in quarantine and run the display fishless for one month?

Thats exactly what you should do, but be really careful with the copper dosing since it can be really damaging for your fishes in the wrong dosage!

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I use cupramine and I use there copper test kit. 12 weeks fishless

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

reefergy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for all your help!

But now I'm really confused. I ran to the store and I come back and she is swimming around, the white patches have almost disappeared and she is putting her male in his place! I also was able to get her to eat a bit. Should I still treat? Or let her be to reduce stress?

Kostaskappa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if you let her be you obviously take a huge risk. Maybe the parasite has spread already.... I'd suggest to quarantine her at least and check other fishes everyday carefully!

fi.na.tine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is your tank doing? We are currently having an issue with Velvet so I am wondering. We will need to QT everyone and clean out our tank unfortunately.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 42 22.8%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 106 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back