DIY: 1-Sheet Laminated Plywood Stand

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing I would change with @TheHarold s design is make sure to have the horizontal top pieces sitting ontop of the leg supports instead of butting into the legs. This will directly transfer the weight to the legs themselves vs putting all the weight on a glued and screwed joint. Not that this isn't super strong, but directly transferring the weight is just that much stronger.:)

This is simple enough to do by even adding an interior strip on both sides of the legs cut to fit under the horizontal frame.

OP
OP
TheHarold

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing I would change with @TheHarold s design is make sure to have the horizontal top pieces sitting ontop of the leg supports instead of butting into the legs. This will directly transfer the weight to the legs themselves vs putting all the weight on a glued and screwed joint. Not that this isn't super strong, but directly transferring the weight is just that much stronger.:)

This is simple enough to do by even adding an interior strip on both sides of the legs cut to fit under the horizontal frame.

I do have those important supports. The supports are not in the 3d model, but I can assure you it does not solely depend on the screws/glue. I’ll will take another photo later, but the verticals are also doubled- one has the sideways-connection you mentioned, while the other supports BOTH the sides and front/black beams.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheHarold

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@JoshH I actually took a photo. This was just before I installed the vertical supports you mentioned- that are directly below the cross beams.

hJZZULe.jpg

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did that sir! It’s not in the 3d model, but the stress is NOT just transmitted via screws/glue. I’ll get another photo later, but the verticals are also doubled- one has the sideways-connection you mentioned, while the other supports BOTH the sides and front/black beams :)

Thanks for clarifying dude, I was just going off the 3D model incase anyone decided to use that:p I did notice in your pictures later on you did add those on the actual build.

OP
OP
TheHarold

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for clarifying dude, I was just going off the 3D model incase anyone decided to use that:p I did notice in your pictures later on you did add those on the actual build.

So you’re right, I didn’t bother modeling those supports. It’s how I do woodworking; all the subassemblies are carefully cut and assembled as precise as I can, but I need to leave a “nominal” length somewhere to compensate for accumulated error. So after the frame assembly, those supports were each cut to length, via test fits.

I agree it could be misleading to someone who is going off my 3D model- my bad.

Last edited:

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you’re totally right; I didn’t model that support. It’s kind of how I do woodworking; all the subassemblies are carefully cut and assembled to as precise as I can, but I need to leave a “nominal” length to compensate for accumulated error. So after the frame assembly, those supports were each cut to length, via test fits.

I agree it could be misleading to someone who is going off my 3D model- my bad.

That was my thoughts as it might just be misleading, I built my stand the same way with the "Outer Shell" being completed first to make sure it all fit, then I disassembled it and laminated the interior supports to the outside shell.

My woodworking process is the exact same making sure all the major components fit and then deal with supports trimmed to fit exactly.

OP
OP
TheHarold

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got a 1/4 sheet of 1/2” plywood to make the back, so I guess the title of this thread is now a lie :(

8gcidEb.jpg

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice work! Plywood is very strong, years ago I built a stand for a 165G with 3/4 ply, glue, and pocket screws. Could have parked a tank on top of that thing.

OP
OP
TheHarold

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice work! Plywood is very strong, years ago I built a stand for a 165G with 3/4 ply, glue, and pocket screws. Could have parked a tank on top of that thing.

You know what’s stupid?

I forgot to build in a bottom panel for the sump.

Doh. And I was thinking about the sump too.... comparing brands and everything. I just forgot that it needs someplace to go lol.

So picking up another half sheet.....

Aka this “1 sheet” build is now bull :confused:

OP
OP
TheHarold

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But I did make a cool box to toggle the stand lights. Still going with the apex theme

1Sy4wdE.jpg

Last edited:

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, so obvious in the pics now that you mention it! Putting foam under the sump?

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful!!!! I did decide to go the plywood route as well only mine, now looking at it, might be wildly over built ;):p

I went with all solid exterior walls (except for the side facing into the fish area) with a 3" interior reinforcement frame of plywood as well.
20190410_204008.jpg
20190410_204044.jpg
20190527_144620.jpg
20190527_144629.jpg

Very clean

I wish I had your skill

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very clean

I wish I had your skill

Thank you very much:)

As I mentioned above, as long as you have the right tools and a little woodworking know how it's a very easy project. And I'm more than happy to walk anyone through it. I should have took a lot more pictures while building it so I could have made a tutorial similar to @TheHarold.

OP
OP
TheHarold

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much:)

As I mentioned above, as long as you have the right tools and a little woodworking know how it's a very easy project. And I'm more than happy to walk anyone through it. I should have took a lot more pictures while building it so I could have made a tutorial similar to @TheHarold.

Hey @JoshH , I should probably put a foot in the center of the shelf- right? To guarantee no sagging after I add a sump. It’ll be 100% sealed, but I figure there’s no harm in adding a center-foot. Like a 3x3 cube.

It has 3” of support on all sides of the shelf.

Cs1E5Sj.jpg

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally while I don't think it's really needed especially if the bottom shelf is 3/4", I would do it anyway. I prefer to do things a little on the overkill side

Last edited:

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 60.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back