DIY 100 Gallon Stand Strong Enough?

Z Pol

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recently got a 100 gallon long tank and decided to build my own stand. I made the stand pretty tall. I just want to know if y'all think this will be strong enough to told everything!

Thanks!
2016-06-06 14_41_50-(no subject) - zpollock504@gmail.com - Gmail.jpg 59f9cc0e-bfc3-4b8a-9c6e-1b4f9c5aad4f.jpg

OP
OP
Z Pol

Z Pol

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I based it off of some other diy stands but since its a long tank I wanted to make sure it had enough strength through the middle.

Mark Shelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the strongest design, but if you skin it with some ply it should be totally adequate
I agree that the vertical capacity is enough. But as shown, there is little lateral bracing which will prevent the top from sliding sideways if a load is applied (parallelegraming; not really a word). Screws or nails spaced close together are not enough to prevent rotation at board ends. Sheathing on at least 1 side and both ends would be my recommendation. Holes in sheathing are acceptable. Like in a house, studs take the vertical loads, but nails in sheathing around the perimeter and at vertical members prevents houses from blowing over. Sheathing could be in panels with 2 vertical and 2 horizontal perimeter members.

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering my old 100gal stand was made ofn1x4s and had half as many studs...id say you could park a volkswagen on top of the 100gal and be fine

OP
OP
Z Pol

Z Pol

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's still not completed. I am going to attach 3/8 ply to the back side and for the sides and front I am going to panel fence boards vertically. Would that be enough, or should I add some horizontal bracing behind the vertical supports?

cope413

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you put a piece of ply on the back and 1/2" ply on top, you'll be fine. 2 shear walls for this is totally adequate. Anything else is just gravy.

OP
OP
Z Pol

Z Pol

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, Thanks for the input everyone!

kateater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stand will hold the weight no problem. The problem you will have is lateral movement (side to side) you will need to wrap it in plywood like cope413 stated or add 2x4 on both sides of every corner.

OP
OP
Z Pol

Z Pol

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stand will hold the weight no problem. The problem you will have is lateral movement (side to side) you will need to wrap it in plywood like cope413 stated or add 2x4 on both sides of every corner.
2x4 from corner to corner on the short side or long side? I am planning adding plywood on the back side and on the top

kateater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2x4 from corner to corner on the short side or long side? I am planning adding plywood on the back side and on the top
One going each direction on every corner. It's hard to explain but here's a quick sketch. I would screw them off to the top and bottom and along the length to each other.
image.jpg

OP
OP
Z Pol

Z Pol

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a pic of a stand that catchemall
Posted back in January showing the corners.
image.jpeg
10-4 I do have corners but they are hard to see in that pic. I will add screws up the length of them.
Once I start to get some of the skin on it I will post an update!

keithp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would put plywood on every side except the bottom and door openings but you can use the thinnest stuff available if it is glued to the frame with waterproof glue and screwed or nailed to make sure the glue makes proper contact. Put your wood slats over the plywood.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always ply top and bottom 3/4" on top for sure, you can get away w/ 1/2" on bottom.
I see your corners, you should be fine but agree any ply attached adds shear strength

OP
OP
Z Pol

Z Pol

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the finished product! Thanks for the help everyone!
Stand.jpg

unnamed.jpg

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 36 30.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 27.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 41 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back