DIY ATO

Broady2067

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have decided to build my own version of an ATO. At the moment it will not be connected via Reefpi but could do later with some jiggery pokery. I have an old version 1 of the Reefloat ATO i was trying to resurrect without any joy. i will be using this board however, the XH-M203 Full-automatic Water Level Controller.
XH-M203.jpg

I have started the build so will add the thread as it goes. So far looking good. To get it to connect to Reefpi i will need some help so chip in as and when.

OP
OP
Broady2067

Broady2067

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have decided to build my own version of an ATO. At the moment it will not be connected via Reefpi but could do later with some jiggery pokery. I have an old version 1 of the Reefloat ATO i was trying to resurrect without any joy. i will be using this board however, the XH-M203 Full-automatic Water Level Controller.
XH-M203.jpg

I have started the build so will add the thread as it goes. So far looking good. To get it to connect to Reefpi i will need some help so chip in as and when.
BTW for those that do not know of Gordon or is work reefloat is a cottage industry here in the UK. I would post a link but not sure if it is allowed or not.

Sral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW for those that do not know of Gordon or is work reefloat is a cottage industry here in the UK. I would post a link but not sure if it is allowed or not.
I believe it should be fine, since you are working on a diy version of it.
It would be different if you were connected to that industry and simply do advertising without any benefit to the Reef2Reef community, if I’m not mistaken.

OP
OP
Broady2067

Broady2067

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now tested, on to the housing. I chose this one because it has two glands and the correct size for the project. Use a step drill for the DC jack and stand offs to keep it clean and tidy.
20231012_181009.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Broady2067

Broady2067

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All wired up and tested. This is a high low sensor but i only need the high level to work so i wired it accordingly. One float switch works a treat. I used one gland for the float switch and the other for the pump.
Not sure how to do it but i would like to hook this up to reef pi. Possibly using ESP32?
20231012_212234.jpg

Last edited:

Sral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All wired up and tested. This is a high low sensor but i only need the high level to work so i wired it accordingly. One float switch works a treat. I used one gland for the float switch and the other for the pump.
Not sure how to do it but i would like to hook this up to reef pi. Possibly using ESP32?
20231012_212234.jpg
So you supply this with 12V DC and it runs autonomously. What exactly do you want to do with ReefPi ?
Shut the whole unit on and off ?
Monitor the float switch ?
Control the pump externally as well ?

I could imagine that it might be useful to control one of the float switch inputs with a transistor controlled by ReefPi. That heavily depends on the workings and internal wiring of your ATO board.

BaliReefBox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi, you may want to consider this. when I did mine i used the low level in the ato container to stop the pump and also trigger an audible alarm..on your float switch just remove the circlip and rotate the float 180*.

OP
OP
Broady2067

Broady2067

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you supply this with 12V DC and it runs autonomously. What exactly do you want to do with ReefPi ?
Shut the whole unit on and off ?
Monitor the float switch ?
Control the pump externally as well ?

I could imagine that it might be useful to control one of the float switch inputs with a transistor controlled by ReefPi. That heavily depends on the workings and internal wiring of your ATO board.
Any kind of redundancy would be good. For instance if the relays stuck open and 50 liters of RODI water dumps into the sump.

OP
OP
Broady2067

Broady2067

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi, you may want to consider this. when I did mine i used the low level in the ato container to stop the pump and also trigger an audible alarm..on your float switch just remove the circlip and rotate the float 180*.
What will this do? Will it stop the pump when water level is low.

BaliReefBox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What will this do? Will it stop the pump when water level is low.
yes if you wire it in series to you/from your pump. once the low level is reached the upside down float will drag the reed switch in and open circuit it. then if you like you can put in a holding relay that once low level is triggered it brings on an alarm

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 40 22.5%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back