DIY calcium reactor

FishOkay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could this work as a diy modular type calcium reactor. Modular in the sense you could just add an ro housing if I needed more capacity? Sorry for the bad drawing lol.
1000022075.jpg

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes and no. I wouldn't just tee off the CO2 like that. You will want to build in some recirculation.

I did something similar to this in the early 2000s. And ended up deciding it just didn't work as well. Here's a link to the thread I followed when I built it.

This is the op. Not my build.

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Second the recirculation - without some active mixing you'll just end up with a gas bubble and poor diffusion. Active mixing can be noisy depending on how much gas you're trying to push into the system as well.

OP
OP
FishOkay

FishOkay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, thanks for the suggestions and I agree. What about this now with those additions? Does that look better.
1000022082.jpg

yury88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, your schemes looks too professional to understand ^^
And you should check how brand models are made. Nothing really that you can add really.

But I your scheme you made some mistakes:
- Co2 goes through peristaltic pump. It high pressure and will explode the tubes in peristaltic.
- Problem with using RO housing with re-circulation- when calcium reactor works its produce small fraction(like sand) that are killing the pump. That's why it should have enough space for sand deposition. You can't just add pump without thinking of this, it will not survive.

OP
OP
FishOkay

FishOkay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, your schemes looks too professional to understand ^^
And you should check how brand models are made. Nothing really that you can add really.

But I your scheme you made some mistakes:
- Co2 goes through peristaltic pump. It high pressure and will explode the tubes in peristaltic.
- Problem with using RO housing with re-circulation- when calcium reactor works its produce small fraction(like sand) that are killing the pump. That's why it should have enough space for sand deposition. You can't just add pump without thinking of this, it will not survive.
Ah okay, so would injecting the co2 after the pump and having a non return after the pump but before the co2 resolve that possibly? But also if I was to change up the type of pump, not sure on the peristaltic pumps capability to do it. But I could potentially pressurise the whole system which may help in co2 and water mixing.

yury88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah okay, so would injecting the co2 after the pump and having a non return after the pump but before the co2 resolve that possibly? But also if I was to change up the type of pump, not sure on the peristaltic pumps capability to do it. But I could potentially pressurise the whole system which may help in co2 and water mixing.
CO2 and peristaltic lines should be separated.
Co2 injection is usually going directly to the recirculation pump.

Actually, you can just have a look at "how calcium reactors work" on Google.
There's a lot of ready-to-go schemes there.
But if you never had a CA before, you should be aware that without a proper automatic with a PH sensor, it will be super unstable.
I recommend you think about balling and/or limewater dosing; it's much easier to build than a calcium reactor.

Attachments

• 123.jpg
    123.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 10

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back