DIY chiller...

robinreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you decide to make your own chiller do not buy a "thermo-electric" fridge.I was so disappointed in that fridge.It was less expensive so I thought I was doing this project under the budget,WRONG.I got it drilled,sealed,everything was plumbed.I checked it the next morning and it was no cooler inside this fridge than the air outside the fridge.So,I freeze bottles of water to throw in on top of the coils of tubing.I do this at least twice a day to keep tank water at 80degrees.What a disappointment,so my advice is to get any fridge with a freezer compartment.Better yet,buy a chiller and be done with it.

OP
OP
R

robinreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well some of us have limited incomes (myself) but I love my tanks,so I do what I can,when I can....LOL....thats what I get!!

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand! Been there, done that! Here is a better once in a while chiller:

1 old cooler
50'+ of vinyl tubing
1 pump
5 bags or ice.

Use whatever pump you have on hand, drill a couple holes in the top of the old cooler, run the 2 ends of the hose out of the cooler, add ice. Attach one end of hose to pump, drop pump in sump, make sure other end of hose is in the sump, (don't ask) turn on pump.

Presto! Instant (nearly) EMERGENCY chiller.

You can make this even more efficient by adding water, and salt to the cooler. The salt will allow the water to drop below 32, and it will fill any voids created by the ice.

OP
OP
R

robinreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I sure didn't think of that,someone had suggested a different type metal(not reef usable).This fridge was to cool at least 20 degrees,lucky if you get 2!!I think it is a great project for ppl who don't have the $400-$500 it takes to get the chiller with everything else you have to have to run them.I have a drop-in chiller on my first tank,but this second tank is in the basement where it stays cooler,hence thinking that I could do with a LITTLE cool down but not needing alot so.....i tried.If I had an extra $150 I would just go buy a better fridge to switch out.The whole thing ran me around $135 with all the things I got,I put in extra shut off valves for the OH NOs that will occur!The titanium tubing would be a great use,if the fridge would actually cool! LOL So,I plan on saving so I can purchase a better fridge to drill on.It won't take but maybe 30 minutes to get it all done.
Thanks for the suggestions and for looking at my little part of the thread.
have you tried using a titanium coiled tube?

OP
OP
R

robinreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This would SO work.......but too much time when I can just throw some frozen bottles of water onto the coils now and be done.Seems to be doing the trick for now,until it gets hotter!

chadfarmer

profilux in the house
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
easier to buy a chiller

i just sold my small 1/10 hp chiller for 200.00

I was told i gave it away

OP
OP
R

robinreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the next time you or someone you know sells a small one for $200 ,let me know.That would have been a great buy and I would have bought it too.That seems like a good deal for both parties involved being it was used.They aren't as expensive as they were a few years ago when I bought the one I have,for my other tank.Thanks for the input chadfarmer.
easier to buy a chiller

i just sold my small 1/10 hp chiller for 200.00

I was told i gave it away

OP
OP
R

robinreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey chadfarmer I just noticed you were in St.Sharles ,thats not but 1 & 1/2 hours from where I am.Know anyone with some good prices for good pieces around there?I have hit a couple in your area,just looking for someone that may have something different...

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, chillers are expensive even for retailers. They're like tanks, there's very little mark-up on them so there isn't much we can do with the price. I think it's a big part of the reason you don't see a lot of LFS stock them. They're too costly.

Deepwater

Im so Psycho HAHAHA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try eco -plus chiller they are pretty affordable for a new chiller . 1-10th gos for about $300 plus shipping . hth

Deep

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 96 44.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 73 33.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 35 16.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back