I buy these, only 1.85 each!
97c6ed7f6948ee27451db4fde00e58dc.jpg
Where is that? Do they have 7"?

Kev311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about that, I got them off of wish. You'll have to wait a couple of weeks for delivery though but it's worth it.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use toss rings for the top of the socks link
IMG_4606.JPG

Skydvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those milk filter socks look like a really great option, but the 2.5" opening seems like they might not work for most people. Also not sure what the micron size is. Although, the bos does say satisfaction guaranteed so, what do you have to lose?

My folding the top edge over a few times and tacking it down has worked out really well for me. My picos use them free standing (when I use them). Having a boxy style that is free standing has come in handy to prefilter water when I had a precipitation issue and dealt with avfew other odd random issues.

A template or really simple design allows you to knock out a bunch in a hurry. Not typically a fan of disposable, especially with synthetic materials, but with the infrequency that I use these, this has been a great and cheap option. Glad I was able to knock out a bunch of them in short order (once I got a template made up) for very little cash.

Skydvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to be pedantic, but a cotton or synthetic mesh fabric.

Much like with the material mentioned above, make sure it isn't something with fire retardants or dyes. Walk around a fabric store and see what you come up with, or search online for mesh fabric by the yard. You can always post what you find on here and see what people's opinions are on it.

George Lopez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea what sizes I would need to cut the material if I were to make 7" filter socks? I really like this idea
Too find the length of and dock you use pi x diameter (pi = 3.14) so for a7" you do 7" x 3.14 = 21.98" so 22.25" wide piece should work for you try it pin a small piece first just in case as adjust accordingly.

s2nhle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This should work for any type of system if you modified from its actual sock.

doughboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would this work for a red sea reefer system?

use the plastic ring from the original red sea filter sock and attach your diy sock like I posted here

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/diy-filter-socks.162584/page-7#post-2224363

this guarantees your sock won't fall or slip off. There is another post where they just zip tie the outside of the ring.
The advantage of this method is, you don't have to sew the loop on the top, that is needed if you, say, use a ring or pull string.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I'd give this thread a bump and encourage anyone considering trying to make your own socks to give it a go. I finally decided to make some and I can't believe how easy they are to make.

I used the material in the OP, used an old sock as a template, cut and sew. It literally takes less than two minutes of actual sewing time. About $9 worth of fabric made 16 socks, with a little fabric left over.

Now these first ones cost me a little more because I had to buy a sewing machine, but that's a different story.:cool:

20171029_203253.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bump!

thetedinator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what the end of the bolt of fabric currently looks like. Purchased at JoAnn's.

Normally $6.99/yd. Price drops to $2.10/yd with a 70% off coupon. I made 51 socks from a 10 yd. bolt. Translate to about $.41/sock. I actually paid $.29/sock because of an extra discount the store gave me because of a mix-up on their part.

ashley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few people have asked me how I make my filter socks so I figure I'd post a thread in case this can be helpful to others. All you need is a sewing machine, very basic sewing skills and about 30-45 minutes every 2 months. I buy my polyester felt from JoAnn Fabric for about $2.50/yard (usually $5 but they have online coupons every month or so for 50% off). One yard of material will give me 15 12" socks which comes out to around .16 cents a piece. Old ones just get tossed and no need for washing and drying, etc. Changing them out twice a week these will last you almost 2 months.

The key to making these easy to use and change is the ring which you only need to make once. When it comes time to change socks, you just pull out the ring and thread it in to the new sock through the upper slot and you are done….30 seconds tops.

Below are the steps with photos.

1) Cut fabric in to 12" strips

sock1.jpg

2) Cut strips every 13"

sock2.jpg

3) Using the default straight stitch, fold a 1/2" flap and sew across leaving both ends open. This will be the slot that receives the ring. Doesn't have to be perfect as long as it stays wide enough that the ring can pass through.

sock3.jpg

4) Fold the fabric in half. Using the same stitch (or tighter one) close up the sock. Doesn't have to be perfect.

sock4.jpg

5) Trim the edges around stitching and cut off any long threads (not necessary).

sock5.jpg

6) Using a torch, bbq lighter, stove or hair dryer, heat up some 3/16 rigid tubing and form it around the neck of a 4" filter sock. You can leave a gap like I have or have it overlap…might be easier with the gap. I also found that if you cut one end at an angle it makes it easier to thread it through the sock.

sock6.jpg

7) Thread the ring through the slot you sewed at the top of the sock.

sock7.jpg

8) Done. Hope you can find this useful

sock8.jpg
Omg this is awsome.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back