DIY Filter Socks

Skydvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out your LFS for the 100 micron and 50 micron felt from DeepBlue. Deep Blue had some issues and all of their stuff is being distributed under a different name. A couple of the stores around me are clearing out the Deep Blue branded stuff for half price or less.

Bmw015

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so mich! Made two so far. So easy!

dante411x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was great.

I went to Joanne’s and got 5 yards for $10. On sale + coupon.

It looks like I can manage 4 socks from each 12” strip since I need mine taller than 12”. Still, some basic math says I can make 60 socks from 5 yards.. that’s enough for 30 weeks. Crazy. About 16 cents per filter sock.

Oldsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been to every fabric stockist/store in Perth, Western Australia and nobody has polyester felt! They only have acrylic felt that is about 10 micron.

1 - Can I buy polyester felt online? If so can you please put up links (100 micron)?
2 - you didn't mention this - how many micron is the material you use?

I keep getting ripped off by importing 6 x 4" x 8" 200 micron (I wanted 100 micron but had no choice but to buy six 4" x 8" socks) using eBay Australia. They are made in the USA. Cost for 6 is almost $90.00! (import duty, currency exchange rate plus ridiculous shipping costs). I'm sick of washing them. I have another set of 100 micron that came with my 6 sock sump. I much prefer100 micron over 200 micron. They are getting raggy after so many washings. What am I to do?

manfrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good stuff. Got felt at Joanne for 5.99 a yard + took advantage of a 60% off coupon. Thanks for this.

mrfluks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is such an awesome thread....I am no doubt going to try making my own!

dante411x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been to every fabric stockist/store in Perth, Western Australia and nobody has polyester felt! They only have acrylic felt that is about 10 micron.

1 - Can I buy polyester felt online? If so can you please put up links (100 micron)?
2 - you didn't mention this - how many micron is the material you use?

I keep getting ripped off by importing 6 x 4" x 8" 200 micron (I wanted 100 micron but had no choice but to buy six 4" x 8" socks) using eBay Australia. They are made in the USA. Cost for 6 is almost $90.00! (import duty, currency exchange rate plus ridiculous shipping costs). I'm sick of washing them. I have another set of 100 micron that came with my 6 sock sump. I much prefer100 micron over 200 micron. They are getting raggy after so many washings. What am I to do?

1- no idea. Sorry.

2-I’m pretty sure no one actually knows what the micron rating for the felt is. Joanne’s certainly doesn’t advertise it.

Unless you can find it online, your best bet would probably be to have someone in the USA go to Joanne’s, buy the felt and ship it to you. Not sure what the pricing on the post from the states to Perth would be, but it would still be way cheaper to get 10 yards of felt sent to you than buying socks.

I bought 5 yards in January and made a bunch of 7” 16” tall socks and have been tossing them in the trash every 3-4 days. Still have 10-15 left.

Greg61

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hobby Lobby has the felt at 5.99 a yard right now with a 40% off coupon for 1 item. I got 7 yards for about 27 dollars with tax. Making some filter socks this weekend.

Chucky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hobby Lobby has the felt at 5.99 a yard right now with a 40% off coupon for 1 item. I got 7 yards for about 27 dollars with tax. Making some filter socks this weekend.

Would pollyfill quilt work the same?

Shelton O Neale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few people have asked me how I make my filter socks so I figure I'd post a thread in case this can be helpful to others. All you need is a sewing machine, very basic sewing skills and about 30-45 minutes every 2 months. I buy my polyester felt from JoAnn Fabric for about $2.50/yard (usually $5 but they have online coupons every month or so for 50% off). One yard of material will give me 15 12" socks which comes out to around .16 cents a piece. Old ones just get tossed and no need for washing and drying, etc. Changing them out twice a week these will last you almost 2 months.

The key to making these easy to use and change is the ring which you only need to make once. When it comes time to change socks, you just pull out the ring and thread it in to the new sock through the upper slot and you are done….30 seconds tops.

Below are the steps with photos.

1) Cut fabric in to 12" strips

sock1.jpg

2) Cut strips every 13"

sock2.jpg

3) Using the default straight stitch, fold a 1/2" flap and sew across leaving both ends open. This will be the slot that receives the ring. Doesn't have to be perfect as long as it stays wide enough that the ring can pass through.

sock3.jpg

4) Fold the fabric in half. Using the same stitch (or tighter one) close up the sock. Doesn't have to be perfect.

sock4.jpg

5) Trim the edges around stitching and cut off any long threads (not necessary).

sock5.jpg

6) Using a torch, bbq lighter, stove or hair dryer, heat up some 3/16 rigid tubing and form it around the neck of a 4" filter sock. You can leave a gap like I have or have it overlap…might be easier with the gap. I also found that if you cut one end at an angle it makes it easier to thread it through the sock.

sock6.jpg

7) Thread the ring through the slot you sewed at the top of the sock.

sock7.jpg

8) Done. Hope you can find this useful

sock8.jpg
Nice I like this

devlzluv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been doing this now for the last month, ran no socks and now I do. This simple diy has saved me a ton of money and all you need is basic sewing skills which you can get from youtube. They hold up well in the washing machine too. My only thing with these is that I need to change them out every 2 days. TY for this basic yet incredible diy!

Nobody077

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make all my filter socks but mine are little different. Im using a SeaClear all in one tank and the filter is more a panel then sock, the sock slides over a piece of egg crate to form a wall. I use the same material but also course blue pre-filter material so it works like a 2 stage. I can make probably 50 for the cost of 1 Seaclear replacment.

20191108_081339.jpg

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is everyone still using the fabric at Joanne Fabric with the item number 086-8448 from the OP? I just picked some up tonight and the number is the same but the labeling is different (ie not eco-fi brand).

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back