DIY help/advice needed

GPhiAce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to drill a hole for my pH probe into the lid of my Ca reactor. Problem is, I don't know what I need. I have a cordless dremel and ...... I can gather other needed items though. My thought was to use the dremel to drill a hole, get something from Lowes to silicone onto the hole to hold it (what- I don't know), and use the pvc thread tape to make sure it is snug. Any input whould be greatly appreciated.

I would really like the probe in there instead of just in my tank, which is where it is now. I am just checking the temp of the effluent by disconnecting the line to my 2nd chamber, and I am getting tired of that now.

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd recommend using a drill with bit and a glued in compression fitting. It can probably be done without too many issues other ways, but by drilling the correct size pilot hole (the compression fitting would give you that info) and actually welding the compression fitting in place would be the most fool proof way. Drilling and tapping a hole for a threaded compression fitting to thread into the top of the Ca Rx would be another way. They sell the fittings at Marine Depot, I think. A friend did this recently, and I've been talking about it, so I'll have to see what I can dig up.

OP
OP
GPhiAce

GPhiAce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks G.

I got bored and started the DIY about 30 minutes after posting. It costed $15 just because I did not have a bit or glue. I took pictures and will post soon as I get my computer back (I hate Lenovos- sent it in fro repairs). The project from start to finish took 15 minutes plus another 4 hours to cure/dry. And so far, no leaks and it works flawlessly.

Parts list:
Dremel
Dremel cone drill bit
1/2 straight-straight barb fitting
Dremel cutting disk
plastic epoxy
2 inch hand clamp
15 minutes spare time

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 27 22.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 86 71.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.2%
Back