DIY - NoPox and GAC

Abbetude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, wondering if my question could be answered.

I followed an online recipe for diy NoPox (500ml 5% vinegar, 375ml 40% vodka, 125ml rodi water). I have a 250G system and intend to follow the RedSea recommend dosage of 3ml / 25G since my No3 is above 10ppm. My starting dose will be 27ml. Now to my question: Can granular activated carbon in a mesh bag in the sump be used in conjunction with NoPox dosing?

Thank you

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your input.

Does it matter where in sump the GAC bag is placed? I have it in my return section.
Where it will get a lot of flow to and through it.

OceanDiver

DEEPBLUE CURATOR
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am doing 6ml of NOPOX daily (I jumped from 4ml trying to get my nitrates back down from 10ppm to 8ppm) and every since then, my GAC, which is running via a Aquamaxx reactor off of my manifold and the return pump, clumps up with in days. I have never had this issue before. Granted I am thinking about just reducing my NOPOX back to 4ml per day.

Tank Info:

Reefer 525 (110gal)
Alk - 8
Calc - 442
MAG - 1325
Salt - 34.7-35
PH - 7.96 (night) to 8.08 thru 8.1 (day)
Nitrate - 8ppm (usually)
PHOS - .03 to .08 depending on the day and feeding. (I do use GFO from time to time as needed)

Has anyone else had this clumping problem? I literally look like a blob LOL

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bacteria is growing in the gac. If you lower the dose it should help. Or just put it in a mesh bag so water isn’t being forced through it. I do this and I dose a lot of vinegar and vodka and it never clumps up in the mesh bag because the water isn’t being forced through it.

OceanDiver

DEEPBLUE CURATOR
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never thought about that. I could put the GAC in a mesh bag in then lay it instead the reactor. This would help keep the water moving more and maybe slow down or stop the clumping.

Or I could just shut the reactor down and just use the mesh bag in the filer socks.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I just shut my reactor down and hung the bag in the sump. I prefer this because the carbon is really only good for a short period of time so I just change it out weekly and use small amounts.

OceanDiver

DEEPBLUE CURATOR
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I just shut my reactor down and hung the bag in the sump. I prefer this because the carbon is really only good for a short period of time so I just change it out weekly and use small amounts.
True. I use just under a cup. Just funny I have stop using the cool manifold I piped up because no pox clogs everything LOL

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will stop once the bacteria adjusts to the new dose but it may take a while, just lower the dose if you feel the need for gac in a reactor but I have never seen a difference in using one but the gac loosing potency quicker. I just use a bag ad shake it once a day to keep it loose.

OceanDiver

DEEPBLUE CURATOR
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will stop once the bacteria adjusts to the new dose but it may take a while, just lower the dose if you feel the need for gac in a reactor but I have never seen a difference in using one but the gac loosing potency quicker. I just use a bag ad shake it once a day to keep it loose.
I might try this as well

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am doing 6ml of NOPOX daily (I jumped from 4ml trying to get my nitrates back down from 10ppm to 8ppm) and every since then, my GAC, which is running via a Aquamaxx reactor off of my manifold and the return pump, clumps up with in days. I have never had this issue before. Granted I am thinking about just reducing my NOPOX back to 4ml per day.

Tank Info:

Reefer 525 (110gal)
Alk - 8
Calc - 442
MAG - 1325
Salt - 34.7-35
PH - 7.96 (night) to 8.08 thru 8.1 (day)
Nitrate - 8ppm (usually)
PHOS - .03 to .08 depending on the day and feeding. (I do use GFO from time to time as needed)

Has anyone else had this clumping problem? I literally look like a blob LOL

The bacteria are growing on it or catching in it.

OceanDiver

DEEPBLUE CURATOR
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading these thread and a few others... I agree with you. I am not sure if its a bad thing or it.

I have read that nitrate level at 8ppm-10popm isn't really an issue either. But I want to get more into SPS and also read that the lower the better (but not too low). Randy where would keep your NO3 and P04 for a SPS tank? Curious on your opinion granted I know every tank is different and stability is key. But do you have good range?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading these thread and a few others... I agree with you. I am not sure if its a bad thing or it.

I have read that nitrate level at 8ppm-10popm isn't really an issue either. But I want to get more into SPS and also read that the lower the better (but not too low). Randy where would keep your NO3 and P04 for a SPS tank? Curious on your opinion granted I know every tank is different and stability is key. But do you have good range?

I'd aim for 2-10 ppm nitrate and 0.03 ppm phosphate. :)

OceanDiver

DEEPBLUE CURATOR
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
understood. I will check my N03 again tonight I have been hovering around 10 that last few weeks.

PO3 stay stable but moved around between .03 and .8. I manage that via GFO if needed.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 91 43.5%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 71 34.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 33 15.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back