DIY one way see-through acrylic door.

WDKegge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came up with this idea while wondering how I was going to fix the busted hinges on a Elos 120 I recently received.

My sump came out so nice and wire free that I decided I really wanted it to be part of the display. I came up with the idea of using a sheet of acrylic.

I ended up going with a piece of 45"x32" 3/16 thick acrylic with a grey tint to it, I was able to get this through a friend of mine and a fellow reefer for cost.

Trimming some excess off to fit the stand, I used a cutting bit on my dremel to do this.
fNnP3Vw.jpg

Test fitting.
EqI5l0G.jpg

I used 3m clear square heavy duty velcro to hold the panel in place, I debated using magnets, but the velcro is strong and clicks into place just as good with a low profile, I used 3, in the top corners and the center.
zyImuew.jpg

When the fuge light is not lit the panel becomes a gloss black, I am debating putting some sort of led strip in the stand so it can be viewed when the fuge light is not running during the day.
cMeXdn6.jpg

Easily removed and set to the side to work in the sump.
kHHjYsp.jpg

The picture blows the light out a bit it's nowhere near as bright as this, it's very subdued, the kessil h380 puts out a ton of light.
x0Vd5Pl.jpg

The cats enjoying watching some of the fish that have been banished to the sump.
lxXzuGj.jpg

lxXzuGj.jpg

4SNxHD3.jpg

kHHjYsp.jpg

Last edited:

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great idea and DIY fix!!:)

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's pretty slick!
If you do add LEDs for day viewing the tape lights w/ remote control and color changing might be a neat idea.
Is it completely closed up, or do you have it vented?

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bunch of extra pictures showing up at the bottom, stupid edit not letting me remove them ;Dead

you’ll have to use the bbcode editor to remove the extra images, if you can’t do so with the regular editor. nice door too!

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
love it My cheap petco stand bottom dropped from getting wet all the time so I have been considering a DIY and love the idea of a see through.

The velcro is pure genius - being able to fully remove the door is so much more practicable when working on the sump . How many times have I bumped the doors with a bucket full of water????

Michael Lane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's really cool! Is that really just grey tinted acrylic? Do you have a link to the exact product?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 75 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 33.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back