DIY Potassium Additive

rongy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hi reefers, I wonder if anyone can give some advice for source of Potassium Chloride for DIY additive. I recently ordered this powder from amazon (also posted screenshot in case people don't want to click on links), and it shows that it has no other ingredient other than potassium chloride, and it's food grade. Wondering if this is okay to be used in the tank. I saw other posts that Randy recommends iHerbs Now Potassium Chloride, but it shows that it also has Magnesium Carbonate, so I'm not sure if that's good or bad.

Also, can I safely assume that this is pure KCL since there's no other ingredient?
Screenshot 2024-04-27 at 21.51.26.png

OP
OP
R

rongy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi reefers, I wonder if anyone can give some advice for source of Potassium Chloride for DIY additive. I recently ordered this powder from amazon (also posted screenshot in case people don't want to click on links), and it shows that it has no other ingredient other than potassium chloride, and it's food grade. Wondering if this is okay to be used in the tank. I saw other posts that Randy recommends iHerbs Now Potassium Chloride, but it shows that it also has Magnesium Carbonate, so I'm not sure if that's good or bad.

Also, can I safely assume that this is pure KCL since there's no other ingredient?
Screenshot 2024-04-27 at 21.51.26.png

Good choice, and as an added benefit you can also use it to make a storage solution for pH probes :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! What about the iHerb NOW brand that you recommended before? I saw that it has Magnesium Carbonate in the ingredient, does it matter?
That’s fine.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 44 32.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 36 26.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 26 19.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back