DIY Radeon clone?

paphater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still working on wiring the fans up and being able to mount the lights. Because of that I haven't rented the par meter yet but I did pick up a lux meter just to see the difference. I ran both lights at 100% for the comparison and none of the lights have any sort of lenses on them. The SB 30" came in at 23,100 lux and the 16" came in at 19,500 lux. The ebay light came in at 75,100 lux. I'm not sure what that will work out to in par. Anybody know what a radion puts out in lux?

Hows your progress coming @tango0102 ?

tango0102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mostly soldered all the lights but needed to get some materials to mount the power supply and aviation plugs for all the channels and the fan wires. I have also added 3 royal blues and one UV led between the two pucks to give it more coverage. Going to use some 18awg x 8 and 18awg x 4 thermostat wires to run from the lights to the power supply box. I'll see if I can get everything connected this weekend and post some pictures. I have also ordered some acrylic to diffuse the light more evenly since the output of the light is pretty high. PAR readings would be great, I may try and find a place to rent one once I get all these things hooked up.

ReeferMadness0347

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple questions (thanks in advance if anyone can answer them):
1) Can individual diodes on these boards be swapped out to accommodate a different spectrum?
2) Is there a way to easily make the channels individually adjustable?

I’m not sure if you still need answers, but to answer your question yes they can be swapped. On surface mount PCB they are generally reflowed, meaning they use a paste type solder and put it in an oven at a specific temperature. To remove them it’s the same process, put it in an oven and when the solder liquifies remove the diodes. I would then suggest using solder wick to remove the rest of the solder and get a “clean” start. Then take the new diodes apply paste and put them on the PCB and heat it up in an oven.

And you could use a digital rheostat for individual channel control. This also depends on how many drivers you use and the functionality of the driver itself.

By the way this is a cool DIY. I’m planning on building my own light too. Great ideas here!

Following along!

henGermany

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
i was following this thread and just decided to build such a great DIY Led for my Reefer 425 XL.

Today i started by ordering 4 arrays (300W), that should hopefully be enough for my sps/lps tank.

My shopping list includes so far:
  • 4x LED array (from that ebay link posted here)
  • 3x Meanwell 1000 LDDH driver
  • 2x Meanwell 1500 LDDH driver
  • 1x Meanwell SE-350-48 + power cable
  • 2x LDD-H-4S DRIVER BOARD

I am still struggling to find a good looking heatsink/ housing combination that could be setup on top of the tank (not hanging).
How do your leds look like? Maybe someone can recommend a good one?

Regards

Hen

paphater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
i was following this thread and just decided to build such a great DIY Led for my Reefer 425 XL.

Today i started by ordering 4 arrays (300W), that should hopefully be enough for my sps/lps tank.

My shopping list includes so far:
  • 4x LED array (from that ebay link posted here)
  • 3x Meanwell 1000 LDDH driver
  • 2x Meanwell 1500 LDDH driver
  • 1x Meanwell SE-350-48 + power cable
  • 2x LDD-H-4S DRIVER BOARD

I am still struggling to find a good looking heatsink/ housing combination that could be setup on top of the tank (not hanging).
How do your leds look like? Maybe someone can recommend a good one?

Regards

Hen

Looks good. Keep in mind one of 1500 channels is white, and it is an over powering white. Unless you like a whiter look you could easily get away with four 1000 drivers and one 1500. I've got nothing really to offer in terms of a housing. I'm planning on a new tank build next year so I'm just going to temporarily set them in aluminum angle.

henGermany

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good. Keep in mind one of 1500 channels is white, and it is an over powering white. Unless you like a whiter look you could easily get away with four 1000 drivers and one 1500. I've got nothing really to offer in terms of a housing. I'm planning on a new tank build next year so I'm just going to temporarily set them in aluminum angle.

I could not find any smart housing solution so far.
So i gonna try to build a custom one on a 1000x200x20mm heatsink: https://www.fischerelektronik.de/we...1131000SA/$productCard/parameters/index.xhtml .

With about 80usd its a quite expansive heatsink, but i hope it provides a decent cooling with just 2 fans on the top.

Does the MeanWell LRS-350-48 48V 350W fit to the 4 array setup?
It seems that the SE ones has been replaced with the LRS on the german market.

henGermany

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I`ve just ordered all the power supply and led drivers from Digi Key.
The whole order was about 25 USD less compared to RapidLED pricings and shipping (even to germany) was free.

paphater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting closer. I decided to do 6 fixtures so I'm waiting on one more fan. While I wait I'll get the rack painted and acrylic cut for the splash guards.

20180919_153220.jpg

paphater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the lights, i know you put a parts list, but a step by step would be awesome, if possible.

Everything is pretty much assembled but I'll take some pictures of everything and explain it the best I can. With school I probably don't have time for a full write up but can answer any questions you might have.

scottedontknow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything is pretty much assembled but I'll take some pictures of everything and explain it the best I can. With school I probably don't have time for a full write up but can answer any questions you might have.

Honestly that would be so greatly appreciate!!!

henGermany

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@paphater

How long has shipping from China taken?
My order was shipped, but that china post tracking isn`t working.

BTW... as mentioned before i bought some of the other parts from Digi Key and they delivered within just 48h from usa to germany... amazing!

iTzJu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

appreciate it man, anything with a bit more detail would do.

paphater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@paphater

How long has shipping from China taken?
My order was shipped, but that china post tracking isn`t working.

BTW... as mentioned before i bought some of the other parts from Digi Key and they delivered within just 48h from usa to germany... amazing!

It took about 3.5 weeks. Usually right when I forgot about them they would show up. I had about 4 total shipments and it was all within the 3-4 week time frame. That's awesome about digi key, I'll have to check them out.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 72 29.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 69 28.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 51 21.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 47 19.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.8%
Back