DIY rustic stand and hanging canopy nuvo mini 40

Toallhisdoom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to throw this up here. Pretty proud of how this came out. Should probably make a build thread. Just getting back into the hobby after a year out.

Did a basic 2x4 frame. Fiance likes tall stands so she can look straight into the tank. Top of stand comes to 48". 2 shelves inside.

Nuvo fusion mini 40 tank

So the girl loves rustic pinterest stuff. Had a bunch of pallets at work so started ripping them apart. The nice thing about this build was that because its "rustic" you can mess things up and not worry about splitting boards or having things look perfect.

Overall I love how it came out. Going to build a "hanging" canopy tomorrow. Gotta figure that out. Will add pics when I get it done.

Screenshot_2017-01-12-19-36-08.png

20170112_105542.jpg

20170112_171348.jpg

20170112_171607.jpg

Va_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Geez, 48" tall stand...gonna need a stool just to get into the tank.

I like the rustic look, gonna use reclaimed/barn door wood for my stand's trim.

OP
OP
T

Toallhisdoom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mounted the conduit for canopy. Need to add another board to it to make it taller to hide light. Need to get L brackets to mount light to canopy. Really think it would habe looked cleaner if it had been hung from ceiling. But the fiance said no.
So that's plan for today.

Going to give conduit another coat of paint just couldn't wait to fit it up and see how it looked! Haha

20170115_103822.jpg

20170115_103829.jpg

OP
OP
T

Toallhisdoom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Geez, 48" tall stand...gonna need a stool just to get into the tank.

I like the rustic look, gonna use reclaimed/barn door wood for my stand's trim.
Yea we hate bending over to look into tanks. It's nice to just stand straight and see everything. Plus tons of storage space in cabinet. I can fit a 5 gal bucket and still have 2 good size shelves. [emoji28]

Reef man 89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Nuvo 40 as well and I got the IM stand for it. And I can say I would take your stand over the IM stand any day. For 300 bucks it should be bullet proof. I'm digging the Stand you got there nice job. One thing I would be worried about is the height because you definitely need an ATO I lose about a gallon a day and idk if the pump will push water that high.

OP
OP
T

Toallhisdoom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Nuvo 40 as well and I got the IM stand for it. And I can say I would take your stand over the IM stand any day. For 300 bucks it should be bullet proof. I'm digging the Stand you got there nice job. One thing I would be worried about is the height because you definitely need an ATO I lose about a gallon a day and idk if the pump will push water that high.
I can put the ato container on my top shelf. Only about a foot underneath tank.
1484495631406.jpeg

TJFitz1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at your canopy I see a open knot in the front. I like the look of knots but I would assume the light shining through would drive you crazy. Maybe paint a think piece 1/4 ply black and put it on the inside. It would keep that knot look but prevent light from escaping

OP
OP
T

Toallhisdoom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The knot is above the light. So hopefully it does not shine through! Will have to see what happens this week when I get it all finished.

EW_Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Barn wood top for mine. I love the tall stand. Great idea ive always made mine 10" higher then other stands for a beter view. This is below normal height because it sits beside the couch. But great work love it

EW_Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The knot is above the light. So hopefully it does not shine through! Will have to see what happens this week when I get it all finished.
Or you could get a thin piece of wood glue it on the other side with the same stain so it still have the knot look (with no light)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 45 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.4%
Back