OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m trying to do something other than another glued butt joint. I guess I’ll do both :)

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Face grain butt joints are strong as heck. It's end grain butt joints that you have to be careful about.
The joint I’m worried about is the end grain in this case. That corner specifically.

Edit: the joint there now, joining two sections is one face glued to a side, but not end grain.

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally feeling mostly better. Decided to "treat myself" to a new dust mask. The one I have is really old and kinda smells.

Got this one that has a built in valve when you exhale. I hate the hot air you have to breath in when wearing these, so this should help a lot.

818b7a80jDL._SL1500_.jpg

I'm going to get back into construction tomorrow. I'm also turning my attention to the finish work too. I'm thinking something durable for the inside of the stand. How would this marine epoxy paint work?

https://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-2...1523830735&sr=8-1&keywords=marine+epoxy+paint

Reviews seem to say that it is soft. Should I do a poly over top of it?

The outside of the stand is going to be Killz. Sounds weird, I know, but that's actually how I finished the built-ins I made in the room and we really like the white-washed look. Should I do a poly over that too?

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used the RustOleum Topside epoxy. 'Soft' is not an attribute I would apply to it, but it does take some time to cure. Plan on giving it 3 or 4 days, it'll be plenty hard.

Kills is not a paint, it's a primer. It's not intended to withstand wear. I'd definitely put some sort of top coat over it.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rustoleum Topside epoxy is considered “soft” when compared with premium brands of marine topside 2 part epoxy paint like Awlgrip, Sterling or Interlux Perfection for the harsh boating environment. For our purposes, Rustoleum topside paint is more than adequate.

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used the RustOleum Topside epoxy. 'Soft' is not an attribute I would apply to it, but it does take some time to cure. Plan on giving it 3 or 4 days, it'll be plenty hard.

Kills is not a paint, it's a primer. It's not intended to withstand wear. I'd definitely put some sort of top coat over it.

Rustoleum Topside epoxy is considered “soft” when compared with premium brands of marine topside 2 part epoxy paint like Awlgrip, Sterling or Interlux Perfection for the harsh boating environment. For our purposes, Rustoleum topside paint is more than adequate.

Thank you both. I’ll have to go to the boating supply store and pick some up. I see amazon sells it too.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yeah, I'd concede that coating a boat might push the limits of whatever you might put on it. Sun and sea, wind and waves... probably one of the hardest environments for any sort of paint.

As an aquarium stand paint? Provides a strong, non-tacky, waterproof, wipe-able, washable surface. I sealed both sides and the edges of the ply shelf under my tank with three coats of this stuff before completing the stand. Used it on the interior and top surface on my old Cube tank, as well. Excellent results.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any of the one part topside epoxy paints like Rustoleum or Petit Easypoxy will work exceptionally well for our reef tank cabinets. In my younger years, I used to refurbish sailing dinghies (Sunfish & Lasers) using 2 part epoxy paints to support my competitive sailing hobby. I still have my Capspray 4 stage HVLP turbine paint sprayer that I plan on using for my own stand build. :)

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inner frames and cross supports done. Just have to cut the two bases and the electronics board and this will be ready for epoxy.

7B9FC6F5-31F6-41B4-A1CE-F4A719163E70.jpeg

Wound up 1/8” out of square somehow:mad:. I can fix that when I put the bases on.

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good!

Don't feel lonely :) Happens to me all the time!
Thanks.

I flipped it over and it wobbled. I said, “No freaking way....” Thought it was was the blanket. Nope. Measured it and sure enough it was off. Said a few choice words and moved on angrily :)

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put the front door together. I like how it came out. This will be the last of my progress on this for a while, unfortunately. I broke my arm today :(

743F442C-65C0-4FED-9FC1-C539A6A6DCC3.jpeg

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stand looks great. But how did you break your arm?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ouch! Was this personal use or on the job.

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got good news yesterday from the orthopedist. I only have to keep my arm in a splint for another nine days and then I can start using it again.

Turns out if you’re going to fracture a bone this is the one in the place to do it. It heals pretty quickly and doesn’t require a cast.

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Splint us off but I can’t really use my arm still. Better than it was but it’s gonna take time. I think I can get back to work in earnest though.

I went to a boat shop looking for epoxy paint and holy cow they wanted $50 for a small can! I saw it on Amazon for $15. I also came across this at HD yesterday. Thoughts? Not sure if it would adhere to wood.

BB41C415-5998-4901-8731-953E84CF2FD8.jpeg

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 18 27.7%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 22 33.8%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 14 21.5%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back