DIY Sump Question (area sizes, pump clearance & baffles)

ALittleHoarse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Before I pull the trigger on buying and siliconing in these baffles for my DIY sump, I'd love to get your thoughts on whether you think it's okay.

My main worries are whether the return area is large enough and has enough clearance for water pull into the pumps, and whether the baffles are in positions that make sense.

The sump is 2.5m long, 50cm front to back and 40cm high - it's for a photography / filming system that will be changing between around 1k and 2k litres every few weeks. The return pumps are Abyzz a200s - only one to run at a time with the other as a backup, though the pumps in this diagram are a400s in case I need to upgrade them in the future. I've probably left more space than I need to for the skimmer but I'm still undecided on exactly which skimmer to go for and don't want to under-spec the space for it.

Thanks for any thoughts and advice! :D

Screenshot 2024-05-09 at 14.53.36.png

smalltown reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Youur set up will work. From my viewpoint, I would flip/flop the return and refugium sections around. Then make the refugium section a bit bigger with some of the extra room. Would also seriously consider a fleece roller in place of filter socks. I recently added the Red Sea Reefmat 500 to my system (instead of socks)... GAMECHANGER.

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0837.jpeg

I would make the refugium bigger. The area for “rock” can probably be cut in half and the return pump moved over. Nothing wrong with the refugium at one end, it lets you use more height.

If you’re keeping a pump as backup, it would probably do better on a shelf vs having things grow inside it. JMO

OP
OP
ALittleHoarse

ALittleHoarse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Youur set up will work. From my viewpoint, I would flip/flop the return and refugium sections around. Then make the refugium section a bit bigger with some of the extra room. Would also seriously consider a fleece roller in place of filter socks. I recently added the Red Sea Reefmat 500 to my system (instead of socks)... GAMECHANGER.
Thanks for your feedback. Will increase the size of the fuge for sure but still not sold on rollers for daily use (though I do intend on getting one eventually for when I’m away and should have space to put one in. Also keeping 2x 25mm manifolds on the supply line that I can put other bits on as required.

OP
OP
ALittleHoarse

ALittleHoarse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0837.jpeg

I would make the refugium bigger. The area for “rock” can probably be cut in half and the return pump moved over. Nothing wrong with the refugium at one end, it lets you use more height.

If you’re keeping a pump as backup, it would probably do better on a shelf vs having things grow inside it. JMO
Thanks for the feedback, will increase the fuge size for sure.

Yeah, definitely like the fuge this way around to simplify rolling some chaeto in there and avoiding bits from clogging the rest of the sump.

You have a really good point on the backup pump not being in the water. I suppose I’m used to external pumps plumbed in like this at public aquariums where one is always at the ready (but it doesn’t really work as well if they’re submerged the whole time).

I think I’ll still plumb in the option to have two but keep one out of the water unless I’m away for a while in which case I can put it in and have the option to remotely get it going if necessary.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 6 8.0%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 26.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 36 48.0%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back