DIY vs. Commercial: What type of sump is under your tank?

What type of sump is under your tank?

• Commercial sump

Votes: 175 42.2%
  • DIY Sump

Votes: 152 36.6%
  • No sump - AIO

Votes: 53 12.8%
  • No sump - canister filter

Votes: 11 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 24 5.8%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
DIY vs. Commercial: What type of sump is under your tank?

Commercial sumps are beautiful and can have some nice added features, but let’s face it, commercial sumps can be expensive especially when compared to the cost of a commodity fish tank and a few pieces of glass. It seems that DIY sumps may have lost some of their popularity in recent years, but they still maintain a very real presence in the hobby and occupy the space under many reef tanks. Even with all-in-one (AIO) tanks, the DIY sump compartment is an option. Please tell us about your experience with DIY sumps and let us know if your approach is to use an elaborate set of baffles and chambers or if you have stayed more with a minimalist open design. If you have chosen to use a commercial sump, please tell us if was because of the looks, functionality, or for another reason. What type of sump is under your tank?

Sumpzilla.jpeg

Photo by @SeymourDuncan

For more information on the DIY sump in the related picture, check out the following link: https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/how2build-sumpzilla.129/

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.topshelfaquatics.com
TSABanner2.jpeg

“Top Shelf Aquatics helps you feel confident in the quality, reliability, and consistency of getting everything you need for a perfect saltwater aquarium. From corals and fish to inverts and aquarium supplies, you can count on us to provide you with a seamless reefing experience.”

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a DIY Acrylic sump I used for over a decade. BUT... one day a seam decided to split. I caught it before any damage was done. I replaced it with a Trigger Systems sump. My DIY sump worked for a long time, but it wasn't very good looking and I didn't like its dimensions... and after I found the splitting seam, I started doubting my DIY skills. I must admit, the Trigger sump looks and works great and it is appropriately dimensioned.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mostly use Aqueon aquariums as a sump. They are very inexpensive, and can easily be customized for each tank. I normally install one baffle to keep the water height the same in the skimmer section.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ruby Trigger, under my 120 Gallon. With a LifeReef Skimmer, powered by a Simplicity 1000. Two Simplicity 1600 Return Pumps, plus two small 12 Vdc Return Pumps to keep the water moving during a power failure. 65 Gallon a LifeReef Sump, with a LifeReef Skimmer, powered by a Simplicity 1000. Return Pump is a single Simplicity 1600. I think I made a mistake on this pump, should have gone with a 2100, as it is at full speed to manifold to the reactors, UV and filter sock. Also 65 has the 12 Vdc Battery powered power loss pumps.

ReeferHD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have 2 tanks with a sump at the moment, both red sea tanks, one has the OEM sump, the other has a DIY 20 gallon, although the red sea sump has a much better finish, i definitely prefer the DIY due to it's shape, (if you've seen red sea sumps you'll understand)

CWalters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Trigger systems Ruby 30. Part of my wishes I would have spent a little more on a Sapphire to get rid of the socks. My next tank, I will 100% be getting a Synergy sump.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one tank with a diy sump, one tank with a the factory Red Sea sump, one tank that is a AIO, and one tank that is all hob equipment and doesn’t have a sump.
I don’t know what to pick.

seandonaldson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a DIY Acrylic sump I used for over a decade. BUT... one day a seam decided to split. I caught it before any damage was done. I replaced it with a Trigger Systems sump. My DIY sump worked for a long time, but it wasn't very good looking and I didn't like its dimensions... and after I found the splitting seam, I started doubting my DIY skills. I must admit, the Trigger sump looks and works great and it is appropriately dimensioned.
10 years is actually appropriate life alot of silicone life spawn is only 5-7 years indoors an 2 years outside...look out side ur house is the silicone wasn't painted over an even if it was around doors an windows if it's over 2 years u will probably find a couple cracks in it an it will also be hard an brittle

OP
OP
Peace River

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I currently have commercial sumps, DIY glass sumps (with and without baffles), stock tank sumps, canisters, and an AIO.

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought for sure DIY would be way more common given the prices.

For $45 i have a 30gal with a large fuge. 3 chambers 1 for skimmer, 1 for intake, and 1 for return. If I could have bought one, the same size, the fuge would have been significantly lower volume for what I could fit in the stand.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back