Do Algae Reactors Work, And Worth It?

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered a small Geo Reef reactor and some lights off Amazon, I'll be running mine off a separate sicce pump since I decided to go without a manifold. Since I'll need to empty the reactor semi-regularly, I wondered if not having it hard-plumbed might actually be a benefit.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently "converted" a BRS reactor to a algae reactor. When it was first installed, I could see the chaeto growing. I took it apart yesterday to clean off the algae growing on the inside of the reactor and the chaeto isn't growing anymore. There was a large amount of little "critters" swimming around. My nitrates are really low at this point (maybe 2 on the red sea test). Is the algae going to die or will it just stay the same size until there is a spike. My tank is fallow until next week.

I have since removed 60% of the lights because it became another heater with all the lights.

IMG_20170608_192928367.jpg

Last edited:

ReefingwithO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I recently "converted" a BRS reactor to a algae reactor. When it was first installed, I could see the chaeto growing. I took it apart yesterday to clean off the algae growing on the inside of the reactor and the chaeto isn't growing anymore. There was a large amount of little "critters" swimming around. My nitrates are really low at this point (maybe 2 on the red sea test). Is the algae going to die or will it just stay the same size until there is a spike. My tank is fallow until next week.

I have since removed 60% of the lights because it became another heater with all the lights.

Are you dosing any trace elements. I find that for the first month or so, the cheato grows really fast but there is something in the water. I'm not sure what - that the cheato sucks out that if not replendished, stunts the cheato growth.

I've use the ZEOvit and Red sea trace elements programs to restart my cheato growth. A really large water change also helps temporarily. I don't believe that it's because your nutrients are too low. I've seen cheato continue growing at slower growth rates in nutrient poor systems.

fishbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you dosing any trace elements. I find that for the first month or so, the cheato grows really fast but there is something in the water. I'm not sure what - that the cheato sucks out that if not replendished, stunts the cheato growth.

I've use the ZEOvit and Red sea trace elements programs to restart my cheato growth. A really large water change also helps temporarily. I don't believe that it's because your nutrients are too low. I've seen cheato continue growing at slower growth rates in nutrient poor systems.
Anyone else experience this?

MickMurray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 90 gallon tank with a 30 gallon sump with fuge. Partitions on either side of fuge are black, so I don't believe I'll need to worry about light bleeding to other compartments. Would a Phosban 150 Media Reactor wrapped in the Amazon lights be sufficient, or should I use a different reactor?

OP
OP
Forsaken77

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 90 gallon tank with a 30 gallon sump with fuge. Partitions on either side of fuge are black, so I don't believe I'll need to worry about light bleeding to other compartments. Would a Phosban 150 Media Reactor wrapped in the Amazon lights be sufficient, or should I use a different reactor?

Is there a way to control the water flow with a phosban reactor? I have no experience with them, have a BRS reactor with mj1200 pump that came with a ball valve.

Any reactor should work as long as the water flow doesn't just blow right through, either a slow pump or ball valve for control, and the bigger the better. Less amount of time you have to empty it. Also, make sure you have the pads to block the small clippings from leaving the reactor in there.

OP
OP
Forsaken77

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think chaeto grows if you add magnesium. I'm 90% sure that's the element. I used to occasionally add Brightwell Manganese, a different form of Magnesium.

It could also be that the tank is nutrient low. There's so many different species of chaeto. While the tank is fallow, I would slow the water flow through it to give it as many nutrients as possible until you do your water change. But check out which supplement helps macro algae. I'm almost positive it's Magnesium.

OP
OP
Forsaken77

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thought you guys should know that the IP67 rated led's are only submersible up to a half hour. IP68 is continuously submerged. The first number, 6, is how dust-proof it is with 6 being the highest. The second number, 7 or 8, is how it reacts to liquids. 7 is one meter depth for 30 minutes and 8 (the highest) is over one meter depth and continuously submerged. So the people on Amazon that claim their IP67 led's are waterproof are only telling half the story.

So those of you using them in your sump be mindful and may want to put the reactor on a stand. I just looked up the IP ratings from an led manufacturer, not what the people on Amazon say.

OP
OP
Forsaken77

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys lose a lot of pods when you empty it?

I can't speak for others, but this isn't really the primary purpose of an algae reactor. It's nutrient export, not so much a refugium to keep pods. They will get in the reactor, depending where you have your intake, but they usually can't get out. They're too stupid to follow the water flow up and out, lol. So they just wander around in there until they eventually die.

If you want a pod sanctuary, you could take a few pieces of rubble rock and stick it in a corner of the sump. I have pods in my sump and have no macro algae in there at all, but plenty of rubble rock. They feed on detritus, so they will survive without chaeto. You could also give them a porous sponge. They love those because detritus collects on it and they make a home there. They love living in the prefilter of my gfo pump. If I turn up the water flow to mix up any debris, a ton of pods will get sucked in.

JenArmstrong

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a trigger 34, and started a refuge in the sump. I had a Kessel 80 grow light that kept cheato and diatoms alive with some pods. No real growth even with the intensity at the highest level. Phos - .16 and No3 above 4. I just made a reactor to see if it would work better myself. Bought a used reactor for $20, Amazon 6.5 ft warm light string for $10, and Amazon trigger 120 pump for $12. Tube is 15 inches long and didn't need to cut the lights. Laid the tube over the refuge space and put a washcloth over the tube so the bottom was still lighting my old refuge to keep some algae alive for my bio blocks and pods. Will test at the end of the week, wish me luck!

20170610_165550.jpg

20170711_205613.jpg

d_adler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also made a algae reactor, used a Phosban 550 and amazon led grow lights and wrapped the whole thing in electrical tape to keep the light in here's some pics.
9300fdf21106ea328b400fd14f6cf458.jpg
0beb0c3139d6ef392a3f4b3093474d83.jpg
b474f8502dca58838511db013293c03e.png

What grow light did you use from amazon? I'm trying to figure which to order

OP
OP
Forsaken77

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a trigger 34, and started a refuge in the sump. I had a Kessel 80 grow light that kept cheato and diatoms alive with some pods. No real growth even with the intensity at the highest level. Phos - .16 and No3 above 4. I just made a reactor to see if it would work better myself. Bought a used reactor for $20, Amazon 6.5 ft warm light string for $10, and Amazon trigger 120 pump for $12. Tube is 15 inches long and didn't need to cut the lights. Laid the tube over the refuge space and put a washcloth over the tube so the bottom was still lighting my old refuge to keep some algae alive for my bio blocks and pods. Will test at the end of the week, wish me luck!

20170610_165550.jpg

20170711_205613.jpg

You may have better luck with led grow lights that are red and blue instead of the white. So see if that works, but if not, others that are getting great growth are using the red and blue lights. Just an fyi ;)

JenArmstrong

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may have better luck with led grow lights that are red and blue instead of the white. So see if that works, but if not, others that are getting great growth are using the red and blue lights. Just an fyi ;)
My Kessel was the red/blue "grow" with little progress - thought I'd give the white a try. Worst case I'm out $10 - Ha. Thanks for the help

will424

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

swensos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think chaeto grows if you add magnesium. I'm 90% sure that's the element. I used to occasionally add Brightwell Manganese, a different form of Magnesium.

It could also be that the tank is nutrient low. There's so many different species of chaeto. While the tank is fallow, I would slow the water flow through it to give it as many nutrients as possible until you do your water change. But check out which supplement helps macro algae. I'm almost positive it's Magnesium.

Just FYI, Manganese and Magnesium are two different elements: Mn and Mg respectively. However, they both are essential for plant growth. In a reef tank, there should be no shortage of Magnesium, so maybe Manganese is the element that you found is needed. ;)

fishbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also made a algae reactor, used a Phosban 550 and amazon led grow lights and wrapped the whole thing in electrical tape to keep the light in here's some pics.
9300fdf21106ea328b400fd14f6cf458.jpg
0beb0c3139d6ef392a3f4b3093474d83.jpg
b474f8502dca58838511db013293c03e.png
Will424 what type of flow will you be using through this? I got the same reactor on the way but I need a pump for it.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 158 43.8%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 126 34.9%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 54 15.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 18 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.4%
Back