Do fish need “fish friends”?

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I know… weird title.

I have what I intended to be a corals only tank. 75 gallon tank, 115 gallon whole system volume with sump and plumbing. The tank is cycled and the Coral in it are thriving including Acropora. I started to see some hair algae and decided to get a small bristletooth tang. Got a gorgeous 3.5 inch white tail. She’s already done an awesome job at taking care of the nuisance. Now for my question: is it okay for her to be the only fish in the tank long term? This is a bare bottom tank and other than lots of snails I would rather not add anything other than coral moving forward. Thoughts?

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know… weird title.

I have what I intended to be a corals only tank. 75 gallon tank, 115 gallon whole system volume with sump and plumbing. The tank is cycled and the Coral in it are thriving including Acropora. I started to see some hair algae and decided to get a small bristletooth tang. Got a gorgeous 3.5 inch white tail. She’s already done an awesome job at taking care of the nuisance. Now for my question: is it okay for her to be the only fish in the tank long term? This is a bare bottom tank and other than lots of snails I would rather not add anything other than coral moving forward. Thoughts?
Yeah it will be fine alone in that tank. It doesn’t really need to “socialize” with other fish

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know… weird title.

This I dont know. I watch my fish interact with each other and think they like it. But I do have fish that wont interact with other fish. My bristletooth for example wont interact with any other fish. My blue hippo, powder brown, yellow tang all swim together. My naso and foxface are near each other all the time. I think it depends on the fish’s personality. Are they fine by themselves? Yeah probably. Hard to say since the fish cant talk to us lol

OP
OP
C

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have a tang gang in a separate tank and they definitely act like a unit but have several other fish that seem to just keep to themselves. I was just worried that it would be super stressed and unhappy without other fishy friends but seems like while they can interact if they find “like minded fish” so to speak, they are content on their own.

Thanks for the responses!

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 41 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 148 73.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.5%
Back