Do I need a refugium? What are the pros and cons?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing to export the nitrates in it. So you leave some and then more grows, right?

You got it! That's how it's done. You're in the export business. :rolleyes:

MikeyAl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ideally you want some means of exporting nitrates and phosphates. A refugium is an easy way to do this by growing some type of algae.

But you could do this by using other means:

1. Water changes
2. Biopellets
3. Algae scrubber
4. Denitrification system (Natureef, as an example)

So Yes, you can run a system without a refugium. But, even if you only have a little extra room in the sump, it's so easy to throw a little light in there and some cheato, and you're now off and running.

Plus 1 on ATS

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So do I run the light on a timer at night or should I run it all the time?

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I get a clamp light with a screw-in led light, my guess is it won't heat up the sump area too much. Will I have algae problems in the other parts of the sump? I'm sort of a neat freak.

MikeyAl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup. A small one. All you need to do is attach the tubing to a small air pump and the power cord to a timer. Run it for 18 hours- I recommend 6 pm to noon.

My wife is cleaning out all my old stuff so if you are interested let me know. I am 99% sure she didn't do anything with it.
I think I can probably ship for about $5-10. If so, I will cover the shipping. It works well

http://www.santa-monica.cc/DROP2-dr...-surfaces--02-cubes-feeding-per-day_p_47.html

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would never have a reef without one. I love the macro they are beautiful and do well cleaning the water. A fuge provides a place for pods and macro fauna to breed and populate in safety which is invaluable for the natural food source. Love my manderins!:-D you can offset lighting sched to stabilize ph and when working well I trade the excess algaes for lfs credit.
In fairness certain macros are known for alelopathy (I think. Lol) and stand accused of harming corals. But I run carbon before my return and have no issue.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup. A small one. All you need to do is attach the tubing to a small air pump and the power cord to a timer. Run it for 18 hours- I recommend 6 pm to noon.

My wife is cleaning out all my old stuff so if you are interested let me know. I am 99% sure she didn't do anything with it.
I think I can probably ship for about $5-10. If so, I will cover the shipping. It works well

http://www.santa-monica.cc/DROP2-dr...-surfaces--02-cubes-feeding-per-day_p_47.html
Thank you! I'll take you up on it. Let me know about shipping and I'll cover that for sure. I'll private message you my address. You're the best!

s2nhle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would rather run my reef system without the refugium. It is just another place to collect the debris

Broadwave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are a couple of YouTube videos on Refugiums that may answer most of your questions around sizing, daylight periods, etc... from 2 very reputable sources.

<-- Tidal Gardens review of Refugiums

<-- How to set up a refugium from American Reef

badstorm48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's no need for a refugium really. Of course depending on what your trying to do. If your trying to build up a copapod population yeah they are good but they can be a nitrate wasteland if done wrong. I'm just going to do a skimmer and call it at that. I am in the middle of finishing my 40 gallon build. All I have to do is order the skimmer and hook it up and I'm done. Though, with the refugium it is personal preference. Everyone has different styles of reefing and not everyone is right. I decide who to follow based on how there tank looks if I like what they have going on then I listen. So, what works for me may not be what you like. I just look at is the water good are the fish happy and thriving and are the corals happy and thriving. There's a million ways you can set up a reef and all of them aren't necessarily wrong.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1455084170.782030.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1455084690.694109.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1455084703.261551.jpg

Last edited:

Happy Jon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't NEED anything but salt, rock, RO/DI, and a HOB Walmart filter, BUT.............,,

Reeflogic