Do they both go down same percentage?

Heres_doe_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If phosphates go down 50% due to water change will nitrates also go down the same amount or even close to that amount? I have no HR nitrate reagent so I'm doing math trying to figure out about how much nitrates i have.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If phosphates go down 50% due to water change will nitrates also go down the same amount or even close to that amount? I have no HR nitrate reagent so I'm doing math trying to figure out about how much nitrates i have.
If you do a 50% water change assuming zero nitrates and phosphates in the water than they will go down by 50%. If you do a 10% they should fall my 10% .

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you measure po4 immediately after the water change then yes. But the rocks and sand also hold phosphate. After reducing the water po4, some rock po4 will gradually leach into the water, over hours, until they are at equilibrium again. So measured a day later you also have the leached po4 in the mix.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only way to know numbers is to test. Guessing and acting on that guess will get one into a lot of trouble.

OP
OP
Heres_doe_

Heres_doe_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you measure po4 immediately after the water change then yes. But the rocks and sand also hold phosphate. After reducing the water po4, some rock po4 will gradually leach into the water, over hours, until they are at equilibrium again. So measured a day later you also have the leached po4 in the mix.
But would it be a drastic difference like would rock hold like .8 phosphates or would it be miniscule. Because if very tiny amount doesnt matter I'm just looking to a roundabout number of where my nitrates are.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But would it be a drastic difference like would rock hold like .8 phosphates or would it be miniscule. Because if very tiny amount doesnt matter I'm just looking to a roundabout number of where my nitrates are.
You could have low phosphates and high nitrates or vise versa. Or high for both. Testing is the only way to figure this out. A SIMPLE Api nitrate test will give you an idea

OP
OP
Heres_doe_

Heres_doe_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only way to know numbers is to test. Guessing and acting on that guess will get one into a lot of trouble.
Imma test i found some finally they come in tomorrow I'm just tryna see if that's the case of them going down about the same percent. And also trying to figure out if that can be an issue as to why my euphyllia aren't as open as before. I've made no changes but if all is right my nitrates should be around 3.25 ppm. Would that be a reason why they are some what not fully open.

OP
OP
Heres_doe_

Heres_doe_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could have low phosphates and high nitrates or vise versa. Or high for both. Testing is the only way to figure this out. A SIMPLE Api nitrate test will give you an idea
My phosphates are .23 currently and if I'm right my nitrates should be sitting in about 8ppm

Last edited:

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you measure just after the water change, you're OK.
It is not miniscule. It is the reason water changes are inefficient for lowering po4 levels, there are more effective ways, lanthanum chloride, gfo, refugium etc.. depending on levels.

Run the test on your tank. Test po4 just after a WC, then a day or 2 later. Let's us know the results.

And get a nyos nitrate tester.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imma test i found some finally they come in tomorrow I'm just tryna see if that's the case of them going down about the same percent. And also trying to figure out if that can be an issue as to why my euphyllia aren't as open as before. I've made no changes but if all is right my nitrates should be around 3.25 ppm. Would that be a reason why they are some what not fully open.
Nitrates are good between 10-20. Some lps like higher nitrate levels. Thats not the only reason orals close up. Flow and lighting play a big role to.

OP
OP
Heres_doe_

Heres_doe_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you measure just after the water change, you're OK.
It is not miniscule. It is the reason water changes are inefficient for lowering po4 levels, there are more effective ways, lanthanum chloride, gfo, refugium etc.. depending on levels.

Run the test on your tank. Test po4 just after a WC, then a day or 2 later. Let's us know the results.

And get a nyos nitrate tester.
I have hr nitrate Hanna checker just couldn't find reagent but i was very right i was in the ball park of how much nitrates i had
PXL_20210930_221041226.jpg

OP
OP
Heres_doe_

Heres_doe_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates are good between 10-20. Some lps like higher nitrate levels. Thats not the only reason orals close up. Flow and lighting play a big role to.
And that was my biggest change nitrates went down a lot. My flow and everything else hasn't changed they aren't fully closed they aren't fully open. I bet if i dose a bit of nitrates and bring them up while continuously bringing both down again little by little they'll be happier.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have hr nitrate Hanna checker just couldn't find reagent but i was very right i was in the ball park of how much nitrates i had
PXL_20210930_221041226.jpg
How new is the tank? Are you using a refugium?

OP
OP
Heres_doe_

Heres_doe_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How new is the tank? Are you using a refugium?
Tanks about 5 months old. I been bringing levels down for both of them. My levels were on July 4th at
32.4 Nitrates
.92 phosphates
So doing some math I'm at about 8ppm until I get my reagent tomorrow. I'm not making changes at all today. I'm just trying to figure out why they aren't as extended. When my water was dirtier they were all the way extended. I was told to bring my nutrients down slowly because leaving them high was bad. And no i don't have a fuge i have some dragons breath in my dt.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 25 80.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.2%
Back