Do we need Nitrate in a reef tank?

biom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thread title says it but I want to discuss if there is any need of nitrogen in form of nitrates in a reef tank. I am not aware of any desirable organisms in our reefs which are dependent of nitrate availability in the water with the exception of denitrification bacteria.
Just to stress out again I am not talking about the Nitrogen per se but Nitrogen in the form of Nitrates.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. Corals prefer Dissolved Organic Nitragen (amino acids and urea) and the Dissolved Inorganic Nitrogen form ammonia over nitrate. Corals may also have diazotrophs that can convert N2 to nitrates. Shantz and Burkpile reviewed a bunch of research and found nitrates can deperess calcification. Here's fig 3 from their paper:

Context‐dependent effects of nutrient loading on the coral–algal mutualism(1).png

OP
OP
biom

biom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing @Timfish good read. Makes sense - Corals are more adapted to Ammonium - since the fish and crustaceans excrete nitrogen in form of Ammonia (not like us mammals in form of urea and uric acid...) And also having in mind nitrogen in NO3 is in maximum oxidation state so its availability to corals comes with a high energy price.
There are so many reefers recently dosing nitrate. But would it be wise to recommend dosing ammonium instead of nitrate?

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering this also. I was reading a few studies on nitrogen and phosphorus uptake rates in coralline and it mentioned the same thing. The gist was that ammonia was much more suitable for uptake and would be utilized before other nitrogen sources. I have also seen that mentioned in a few coral studies too.
I wonder if the aversion to ammonia dosing comes from the stigma surrounding ammonia levels in your tank through the inital nitrification cycle. "0 ammonia or no fish!"
I would think that a sufficient fish population being adequately fed would generate enough free ammonia to support the metabolic processes in the surrounding coral. But maybe it isnt sufficient? So the get as much as they can and then and only then turn to No3? Dunno. That is an interesting line of thought though.

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used ammonium in the past for dosing. It works fine. Best to spread it out and dose it slow, not all at once.

Some threads on using it, and making dilutions.

Note: For the combined solution (N : P), I found that a 10:1 N : P was not balanced enough. I would suggest 15 - 20:1 as a starting point, or just keep them separate and dose them separately.

Last edited:

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Hans said it best here: "Nitrate is rather a waste product, the ashes of burnt excess nitrogen compounds."

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the question is too vague.

Having detectable nitrate assures there is sufficient N for organisms we keep, and many organisms can use it if they need to.

It does not mean that one must have nitrate if the other sources are sufficient, but since we do not measure these other sources, having it is an insurance policy, even if it it is not the primary form of N consumed.

OP
OP
biom

biom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Having detectable nitrate assures there is sufficient N for organisms we keep, and many organisms can use it if they need to.

It does not mean that one must have nitrate if the other sources are sufficient, but since we do not measure these other sources, having it is an insurance policy, even if it it is not the primary form of N consumed.
I think the question is quite clear. And we can easily measure ammonia for sure.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are nitrates NEEDED? My research leans towards no. Are they an easy way to measure if we are adding enough ammonium? Absolutely.

IMO, this is why it doesn’t matter if nitrates are 2 or 40. I’ve yet to see any negatives from high nitrates. What the high nitrate number is telling us is we are adding more ammonium than our corals and algae can uptake before it’s converted into nitrates. So keeping a lower nitrate number is preferable as that means we are adding just more than enough for our inhabitants.

The thread Dennis posted above from Hans is probably the best I’ve found to date talking about it all

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally see nitrate as an insurance policy. I know corals prefer ammonia, but there is a lot of competition for ammonia: bacteria, algae, etc

I only feed 1 time a day, so I want to make sure corals always have a source of N. They can use nitrate, but it takes a little energy from them to convert it to ammonia.

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on what kind of life you're talking about. Corals almost assuredly require some as they rely on plants within their tissue and a form of nitrogen is requires for plants to thrive.

That being said, "Nitrates" aren't necessary, but a form of nitrogen is.

GatorGreg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the question is quite clear. And we can easily measure ammonia for sure.
Lol you do realize who you’re talking to right? If you don’t agree with him it’s probably because you don’t understand what he’s talking about. I think you’re in over your head here bud.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The written question is clear and the obvious answer is no, nitrate is not needed at a level detectable by typical hobby kits. N can certainly be supplied in other ways, but that does not mean that it "IS" sufficiently available in other ways.

A more in depth consideration of the question and the implications of the answer is what makes it vague. To say it is "not needed" means you have other ways of ensuring enough N is present. Few reefers do that, so for all of them, nitrate is needed, IMO, while for some tanks, it may not be actually needed to be present.

You can possibly measure ammonia, but you do not know what level is needed or what the flux through that concentration is taking place.

Suppose, for example, you measure 0.001 ppm ammonia. Is that sufficient to meet organism needs? 0.01 ppm? 0.001 ppm?

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we do, even if nitrates are not utilize directly by corals, levels above zero indicates that you are providing enough nutrients to your reef aquarium.
Similarly if your urine urea is low it may indicate diet low in protein/malnutrition ( among other things).

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you aren’t keeping coral, would the answer be “detectable nitrate is unnecessary”?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you aren’t keeping coral, would the answer be “detectable nitrate is unnecessary”?

I think it applies to other photosynthetic organisms as well, but not to much else. I can certainly imagine, for example, that if N is too low, certain macroalgae may suffer, and having detectable nitrate assures there is enough.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Discussing this question from a different approach, one question is whether there is any organism in a reef tank with an absolute requirement for nitrate, which cannot be satisfied by another molecule.

I'm not aware of any such organism larger than microbes, and I think it's perhaps an open question on many microbes whether even those that perform, say, denitrification, actually need nitrate to survive or if they can get energy in other ways in a reef aquarium.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing @Timfish good read. Makes sense - Corals are more adapted to Ammonium - since the fish and crustaceans excrete nitrogen in form of Ammonia (not like us mammals in form of urea and uric acid...) And also having in mind nitrogen in NO3 is in maximum oxidation state so its availability to corals comes with a high energy price.
There are so many reefers recently dosing nitrate. But would it be wise to recommend dosing ammonium instead of nitrate?
Thumps up emojii 50.png

Rather than dose ammonia I'd feed more or add more fish and feed more. Fish poop also contributes to the carbonate cycle.

Fish as major carbonate mud producers and missing components of the tropical carbonate factory

Just FYI, while a fair amount of fish nitrogen waste is excreted as ammonia/ammonium from their gills they do produce urea also. Here's some more links if you're interested:

Ammonium Uptake by Symbiotic and Aposymbiotic Reef Corals

Amino acids a source of nitrogen for corals

Urea a source of nitrogen for corals

Diazotrpophs a source of nitrogen for corals

Effects of anemonefish on giant sea anemones: Ammonium uptake, zooxanthella content and tissue regeneration

Nitrogen cycling in hte coral holobiont

Nutrients and Sponges

Elevated ammonium delays the impairment of the coral-dinoflagellate symbiosis during labile carbon pollution
(here's an argument for maintaining heavy fish loads if you're carbon dosing)

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it applies to other photosynthetic organisms as well, but not to much else. I can certainly imagine, for example, that if N is too low, certain macroalgae may suffer, and having detectable nitrate assures there is enough.
OK, this helps set the boundaries to the question.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 171 67.6%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back