Do you think we have gone too far with clownfish breeding?

Have we gone too far in search of new types of Clownfish?

• Total voters

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am commenting after reading a few, so apologies if this has been said.

Look at dogs as an example of what bad looks like. Pugs come to mind.

It is up to us to decide how the hobby fish breeding goes. Don't buy them and they eventually won't sell them.

flsalty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You lost me on this one. When or where did I make this claim. I have 1 wild caught pair that produce albino offspring making them first generation from wild caught. I'm not sure where you got several pair from any of my posts. Could you elaborate?
It's really quite simple. You made the claim that these fish are not inbred. From ORA's site: "Our broodstock descend from specimens ORA obtained from clownfish breeder Robert King. Robert named these fish Zombies when he first spotted them in a batch he raised from two, normal looking wild-type Black Ocellaris parents."

So, in order to not be inbred, you would have had to supply these fish from different parents. Since you didn't, ORA is definitely inbreeding them. Your offspring may be F1, but clearly ORA's isn't.

flsalty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I've said this a time or two, but these fish have great vision but are sensitive to sudden bright lights! If they didn't, they would've never made it through morph which should be obvious to you if you read any of my replies.
Here your argument is that the fish don't have any vision problems other the vision problems they have. My argument is it doesn't matter if you think the problem is inconsequential or not, the problem should be disclosed.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder what happens when someone dumps a few of these designer clown fish in the Ocean after lets say a hurricane passes by. I know that the Atlantic Lion fish plague was caused by this. I am just wondering if they get loose in the Pacific could they eventually start to mutate the natural clown fish population by breeding with them or do you guys think there is zero chance of that happening?

Robert King

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am commenting after reading a few, so apologies if this has been said.

Look at dogs as an example of what bad looks like. Pugs come to mind.

It is up to us to decide how the hobby fish breeding goes. Don't buy them and they eventually won't sell them.
Maybe we shouldn't buy any clownfish period. They've either been wild caught or inbred over and over. Lets take that a step further and stop buying all wild caught fish. Bangaii Cardinal fish were collected to the point of being endangered. Captive bred Banggaii's, most of them have a neurological disorder called sudden fright syndrome. Inbreeding over and over make for an all around unhealthy fish so lets take Phantoms, Snowflakes, Gold Nuggets, Storms, Platinums etc...... off the list of fish to buy. My Zombies being F1 from a wild caught pair of Black Darwins (that I inherited many years ago) are some of the healthiest fish in the hobby. They do not have any neurological defects, They are not blind or even partially blind as some posts may suggest, and they are F1s.
image00000002.jpeg

Robert King

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here your argument is that the fish don't have any vision problems other the vision problems they have. My argument is it doesn't matter if you think the problem is inconsequential or not, the problem should be disclosed.
I feel like I'm beating a dead horse here. Don't shine bright lights in their eyes because they are sensitive to sudden bright lights as are most fish. If their visual acuity is lacking in the least, they would never make it past morph!

image00000002.jpeg

Robert King

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's really quite simple. You made the claim that these fish are not inbred. From ORA's site: "Our broodstock descend from specimens ORA obtained from clownfish breeder Robert King. Robert named these fish Zombies when he first spotted them in a batch he raised from two, normal looking wild-type Black Ocellaris parents."

So, in order to not be inbred, you would have had to supply these fish from different parents. Since you didn't, ORA is definitely inbreeding them. Your offspring may be F1, but clearly ORA's isn't.
It goes without saying that when you breed an F1 with anything, the offspring are not going to be F1. My claim was that these fish have not been inbred over and over again. My fish are F1 and ORA has actually obtained a wild caught fish to keep the gene clean. They can continue to breed F2s for a very long time without ever going to F3 or F4,5,6,7,or 8 in most cases of designer clowns.

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mr. King, this is funny. SO, Do you believe there are people out there that think Veil tail is a natural thing? That there are people that have no idea what a wild Discus looks like? That Snowstorm Clowns are a naturally occurring species?That people purposely inbreed fish to take monetary gain from a deformity? This is what we are telling you and you continuously feel it is OK what you are doing. Purposely breeding fish with a deformity and calling it rare but natural.. and feeling that it is acceptable.. You already said you pulled your pair from an unnaturally occurring Man Made Morph, did you not? So all you are doing is perpetuating deformity.. I would liken it to something from the past but don't feel talking about forced human breeding is a thing that should be discussed here. Maybe you can be more precise in what you feel is acceptable deformity.. To further push this, what do you think the natural survivability is of this.. rare but naturally occurring deformity?

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like I'm beating a dead horse here. Don't shine bright lights in their eyes because they are sensitive to sudden bright lights as are most fish. If their visual acuity is lacking in the least, they would never make it past morph!

image00000002.jpeg
Don't shine bright lights in their eyes....ok who seriously goes around shining lights in there fish's eyes like a 5 year old with a flashlight? C'mon now, I know your defending your breeding but incase you missed it most reef tanks have bright lighting in which most of these fish will be bought for, a reef tank. Again, I get your side but you should accept that not everyone is going to agree with you, your breeding or your reasoning to produce fish with a sight abnormality.

Gil03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I raise my larvae under dim light as many others do as well. If an albino darwin can make it past morph, I would venture to say they have no issues with their vision. They have never had a problem competing for food as they spend most of their juvenile life with their non-albino siblings. Sudden bright light is their only issue with vision. I see a few people referring to them as disabled. They are no more disabled than a person who likes or needs to wear sunglasses.
Maybe you start breeding towards NOT having issues with sudden bright lights, if that changes the look then so be it right? Ever thought it could be the case that right now it's just sudden bright light which may morph into more of an issue should the breeding continue?

Gil03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, maybe I missed it in this thread somewhere but when you say they have an issue with sudden bright light what do you mean by that? Does it startle them? do they dart into a hiding spot? do they momentarily lose the ability to see?

Robert King

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, maybe I missed it in this thread somewhere but when you say they have an issue with sudden bright light what do you mean by that? Does it startle them? do they dart into a hiding spot? do they momentarily lose the ability to see?
I noticed much earlier on that the albinos would be startled by sudden bright lights so I did a little test today and shined the same light at their non albino siblings and their reaction was the same. I may be mistaken about the claim of light sensitivity. There are some of my Zombies that are over 7 years old and doing great. This would not be the case if they were "disabled" or "partially blind." As far as visual acuity goes, there is absolutely no issue with that. If you were to observe these fish for yourself, you would be impressed as they are the most beguiling clownfish you will ever observed. Since I've been breeding salt water fish, there has always been those people who love to rain on my parade. I was told early on to cull mercilessly any misbarred or deformed fish. I am gathering from all the haters out there, that they would like to see my fish culled mercilessly or to never put them with any other clownfish leaving them to be without a partner. Thank you for your comment and questions. I hope this helps to clear up any controversy once and for all.

Robert King

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't shine bright lights in their eyes....ok who seriously goes around shining lights in there fish's eyes like a 5 year old with a flashlight? C'mon now, I know your defending your breeding but incase you missed it most reef tanks have bright lighting in which most of these fish will be bought for, a reef tank. Again, I get your side but you should accept that not everyone is going to agree with you, your breeding or your reasoning to produce fish with a sight abnormality.
I'm glad you brought that up. I have more than 1 tank and I've turned on my white lights with no ramp up, on my tank with the non albino siblings and much to my dismay, they darted to the bottom. My albinos live under the same type of light and with the blue lights coming on first and a ramp up on the other lights, they have been doing just fine for 2 years now. Since I started breeding salt water fish, I've had many people trying to rain on my parade. Haters are gonna hate.

Robert King

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty sure it has been disclosed or else this post wouldn't exist.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad you brought that up. I have more than 1 tank and I've turned on my white lights with no ramp up, on my tank with the non albino siblings and much to my dismay, they darted to the bottom. My albinos live under the same type of light and with the blue lights coming on first and a ramp up on the other lights, they have been doing just fine for 2 years now. Since I started breeding salt water fish, I've had many people trying to rain on my parade. Haters are gonna hate.
No one is hating, just difference of opinion and sorry you can't handle that. Your attitude against others who disagree is sad to be honest. Your turning reefers and hobbyists that disagree with your one type of clownfish into "hate" and as a buisness owner I would think you had higher regard for others opinions. The more you post just makes want to avoid anything you produce. I wish you the best in your endeavors but I'm done with our conversation.

brad shawn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that too far is “producing” a strain that is at a disadvantage of a quality life IE blind or partially blind. Look at all these flower horns with a nuchal hump so big they can’t swim or all these short body fish coming out of Asia. They don’t live full lives, struggle to swim and feed. I’m all for different color strains from cross breeding although I wouldn’t keep any I like natural over cross bred. Just my opinion....

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 28 22.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 89 71.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.0%
Back