Do you use activated carbon at all times, intermittently or never?

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not convinced does anything beneficial that I need. Water clarity? Ozone and Coral Snow. Odors? Ozone. Toxins? Ozone.
But ozone produces its own byproducts that need to be removed with carbon.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never. The only carbon I use is on top of my skimmer cup to help with the smell
I love the smell! Just kidding. I just took the doors off of my stand and now it smells like tide pool in here. I might have to run some on the skimmer alongside my usual 24/7 passive sack.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
24/7

I don't want the fish to constantly be exposed to hormones they may release

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like?

Haven’t run carbon in nearly 2 years of running ozone. Tank is humming along just fine
Do you track ORP? How much does it increase when you use ozone?

I use ozone once a week.

air_run

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not convinced does anything beneficial that I need. Water clarity? Ozone and Coral Snow. Odors? Ozone. Toxins? Ozone.
Do you run Ozone 24/7, or only when needed? I'm looking into experimenting with Ozone and I'm currently gathering information. Thanks!

Vjames

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do most reefers consider the use of activated carbon mandatory? I'm evaluating whether to use it continuously, intermittently or never? I'm also confused as some say it's only effective for a matter of days, while others claim it lasts months. Does it remove "good" stuff from my water?
I have it in the sump always but heard it can remove some dosing stuff. Whatever you are putting in your tank, read the instructions. If it mentions you to remove carbon before adding it to your tank, then do it. You should be able to rinse the carbon in RODI and reuse but again READ THE INSTRUCTIONS.

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I run carbon in a reactor for one of my systems 24/7, and not at all in the other system.

IMO, every tank truly is different and as such, have different requirements. I utilize UV in both tanks and will in my newest system as well once I start stocking it. I've never noticed any sort of downside to running UV.

Fwiw, the main reason I run carbon in my display tank is because a biofilm will build up on the surface of the water (quickly) if I don't.

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like?

Haven’t run carbon in nearly 2 years of running ozone. Tank is humming along just fine
If you are genuinely curious about the ozone byproducts @Js.Aqua.Project mentioned, Randy has an article about it.

I understand you said your tank is doing fine without the carbon. I’m not implying you need to start adding carbon. I am a believer in doing things that work for you. :)

In my tank, the ORP rises much higher, so I personally use carbon.

Toob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was running in a reactor 24/7, moved to passively in a bag, and now do not run it at all. I have noticed zero change in my water quality.

This is pretty much my experience also. I have always been curious about carbon though - I wonder if the folks that run it 24/7 do so for a specific reason? What happens if you stop running it or forget to change it out?

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 49 29.3%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 36 21.6%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 17 10.2%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 58 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%
Back