Do you use activated carbon at all times, intermittently or never?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ozone and carbon provide many of the same benefits. Odors, toxins, yellowing pigments, just to name a few.
Devils advocate here:

I don’t use ozone for toxin removal. I depend on activated carbon for that. I can’t imagine myself not using activated carbon with ozone.

Especially because:

I go pretty strong with the ozone, but only once a week. My trochus snails will spawn every time I use ozone. My ORP increases by 100-150 after the night of using ozone, and I don’t let my ORP go above 450.

IMG_7960.png

Last edited:

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Devils advocate here:

I don’t use ozone for toxin removal. I depend on activated carbon for that. I can’t imagine myself not using activated carbon with ozone.

Especially because:

I go pretty strong with the ozone, but only once a week. My trochus snails will spawn every time I use ozone. My ORP increases by 100-150 after the night of using ozone, and I don’t let my ORP go above 450.

IMG_7960.png

I don’t care if actually does anything with toxins but it’s a claimed benefit. Just like carbon. No one can actually answer how much it removes or if we even need to worry about toxins to begin with. Lots of theory with little evidence

ThaBeast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Devils advocate here:

Especially because:

IMG_7960.png
Interesting your trochus snails spawn after ozone use. I saw a couple tiny trochus in my tank the other day, too small to have gotten in any way but to be born there. I first put trochus in my tank 90 days ago. I have some type of hitchhiker snail I see spawning at ramp down 2-3 times a week. I run ozone from 12-2 every night

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting your trochus snails spawn after ozone use. I saw a couple tiny trochus in my tank the other day, too small to have gotten in any way but to be born there. I first put trochus in my tank 90 days ago. I have some type of hitchhiker snail I see spawning at ramp down 2-3 times a week. I run ozone from 12-2 every night
Yep. I’m running ozone right now. I can bet anything that the trochus will spawn by the morning. I’ll even take a video. It’s like clockwork. :)

OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Proven? I don't think so either. Lots of articles, discussions, and anecdotal evidence. I have experienced the anecdotal part.

I always ran acid washed lignite or ROX. All of my tangs but one were ok. My yellow belly hippo developed HLLE pretty bad. I stopped using GAC and it stopped spreading and luckily eventually over time mostly healed. I think there may be a spot in the black area still and the dorsal fin is still deformed.
With that experience I can see why you'd refrain from using it. Kudos for recognizing your one experience isn't definitive proof as many today aren't that insightful lol.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never run carbon but do like Ozone. It's just me. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. I’m running ozone right now. I can bet anything that the trochus will spawn by the morning. I’ll even take a video. It’s like clockwork. :)
They are spawning.

OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To those using ozone. Would ozone make my $500 UV sterilizer obsolete or is there any reason to use both?

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
24/7, passive (bag in high flow area of sump), replaced monthly

PROS: keeps water clear, removes DOM, removed various environmental toxins.

CONS: may remove some trace elements, carbon dust can be an irritant to livestock
"CONS: may remove some trace elements, carbon dust can be an irritant to livestock"

That's why I rinse my carbon very, very well with R/O water. It's been said,...that it creates hole in the head disease, especially with Tang's, but is there proof,...I don't know ?

dnyceli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
24/7. I think it’s one of those methods that “resets water clarity” initially and then reduces it’s fouling over the next few weeks. You’ll likely achieve similar result by just running it 24 hours and taking it out but why not allow it to fully saturate with bacteria and become ineffective. Just feels more efficient this way.
Will it leech back whatever it absorbed after it has been expired?

dnyceli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have it in the sump always but heard it can remove some dosing stuff. Whatever you are putting in your tank, read the instructions. If it mentions you to remove carbon before adding it to your tank, then do it. You should be able to rinse the carbon in RODI and reuse but again READ THE INSTRUCTIONS.
Never knew you could rinse and reuse carbon

fancy_fish101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do most reefers consider the use of activated carbon mandatory? I'm evaluating whether to use it continuously, intermittently or never? I'm also confused as some say it's only effective for a matter of days, while others claim it lasts months. Does it remove "good" stuff from my water?
24/7, run it through a reactor.

OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Devils advocate here:

Especially because:

IMG_7960.png
With my ORP already running this high, daily peak of 350, what would be my max for ozone and would I be severely limited on how long I could run it? Can it be run longer but at a slower rate? Note: the big ORP dip was due to my monthly water change.

Attachments

• IMG_1464.png
    IMG_1464.png
    148.7 KB · Views: 11

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.6%
Back