Do you want the old thread way to buy and sell?

Do you want the old thread way to buy and sell and drop the newer classifieds?

• Yes go back to the old way with threads only

Votes: 165 81.3%
  • No I like the newer classifieds

Votes: 8 3.9%
  • I don't care either way

Votes: 30 14.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no issue with the new format now that I know it and have learned some things about it but I much prefer the old way

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new format is ridiculous I find myself not even looking at them anymore and I used to look daily.

Old was so simple and worked.

Last edited:

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ll give you my two cents as a web developer that does this for a living, manages development teams, and works with UX people that abuse me constantly.

I think you should go back to the old experience. If you want to make changes, introduce quick small changes incrementally over time. People are much more receptive to this versus a huge change. As you roll out each feature, post a feedback thread like this. Keep, change, or delete the new changes you introduced based on the feedback.

If you are interested in this, read more about “agile versus waterfall” development.

What you decide to implement should be guided by what changes are wanted most by your users. If you take a poll and people say seller feedback is most important, start there and implement something simple. Tweak or add to it over time. This way you never have to throw out 6 months of work that was done in the dark, and you are always working on “the most important thing”. Over time you will have a system that is what your users want… which I have seen time and again is usually different than what you think they want!

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
At the time of this post it is 117-5 plus 19 that don't care. Let's be super generous and give all 19 to the Yes side...

It is still 117 to 24...that's a landslide victory with no recount needed

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the time of this post it is 117-5 plus 19 that don't care. Let's be super generous and give all 19 to the Yes side...

It is still 117 to 24...that's a landslide victory with no recount needed

This is a stolen election! There is fraud everywhere! Stop the steal!

the 5 yes are moderators or people sucking up, it’s not possible to like the new better than old.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old way definitely! Don’t like it when I see something I’m interested in, and it’s on the other side of the Country.

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a while R2R was the only place I really listed things for sale.

During the pandemic this turned out to be fairly frequently.

When the new format hit, it was so clunky to buy/sell I started doing so elsewhere.

And along with that switch went a lot of my attention. I use to frequent the SPS and Zoa forums more than daily.

After the switch I found myself gravitating back to social media and other forums.

And btw, it didn't help that the messaging around the new format made me feel very clearly like R2R thought of me as some sort of freeloader that needed to be reigned in....................

Drendo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll give you my two cents as a web developer that does this for a living, manages development teams, and works with UX people that abuse me constantly.

I think you should go back to the old experience. If you want to make changes, introduce quick small changes incrementally over time. People are much more receptive to this versus a huge change. As you roll out each feature, post a feedback thread like this. Keep, change, or delete the new changes you introduced based on the feedback.

If you are interested in this, read more about “agile versus waterfall” development.

What you decide to implement should be guided by what changes are wanted most by your users. If you take a poll and people say seller feedback is most important, start there and implement something simple. Tweak or add to it over time. This way you never have to throw out 6 months of work that was done in the dark, and you are always working on “the most important thing”. Over time you will have a system that is what your users want… which I have seen time and again is usually different than what you think they want!
This. Totally this!

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old way. Bothers the Crayola out of me that there's a classifieds and a marketplace. Lol.
D
I still don’t know the difference?

I vote old. New way it tough for big listings that may take a while to sell thru everything and they don’t get bumped to the top. Lazy people like me won’t always click discussion to see what’s sold, if it’s still being managed, etc. plus editing the old way just like any other post was much easier. Short and sweet.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I quit buying shortly after we went to the new way because it wasn't user friendly. I prefer the older more simple way.
As did I. I enjoyed the older way. I also noticed that the number of postings has started to shrink. Not sure if that is just because of less duplicate posts..but definitely feels like a self re-enforcing cycle of not user friendly so people stop using causing a slow death to what used to work well enough .

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just call it like I see it

That could simply be more users are active and the hobby is seeing a downturn with people leaving because of the current economy and what's on the horizon. Sales forums are always more active as people exit the hobby.

I used to be able to sell stuff in a couple days on here. Now my threads routinely expire at 30 days with zero hits. Even when I'm basically giving items away.

Look at the votes. It's all you need to know. Your users want it back the old way because the new way doesn't work.
I can tell you..prior to me stop using the classifieds...nothing was EVER 'practically given away'. Maybe 90 cents on the dollar for used vs new equipment and the corals have seen nothing but higher price points (i can only assume people leaving the hobby are trying to recoup while people who joined the hobby as an 'investment' are still pricing the corals as if we were in lock down)

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I can tell you..prior to me stop using the classifieds...nothing was EVER 'practically given away'. Maybe 90 cents on the dollar for used vs new equipment and the corals have seen nothing but higher price points (i can only assume people leaving the hobby are trying to recoup while people who joined the hobby as an 'investment' are still pricing the corals as if we were in lock down)

I didn't say others were giving things away. I said I was.

I put up a Coral Care 2 with controller for $500 shipped. This package is close to $1000 retail. Didn't get a single bite and now I know why. Those of that scoured the classifieds daily, aren't even trying to use the new way any longer because it's such a mess and hard to navigate.

I put the same thing up on Facebook and had messages within minutes. Many wanted to know what was wrong with it being half off new and only a couple months old.

People always value their stuff too much. This goes for every used classified out there. But when you make it difficult to even post, let alone quickly browse, you make the feature pointless. Don't even offer it IMO

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't say others were giving things away. I said I was.

I put up a Coral Care 2 with controller for $500 shipped. This package is close to $1000 retail. Didn't get a single bite and now I know why. Those of that scoured the classifieds daily, aren't even trying to use the new way any longer because it's such a mess and hard to navigate.

I put the same thing up on Facebook and had messages within minutes. Many wanted to know what was wrong with it being half off new and only a couple months old.

People always value their stuff too much. This goes for every used classified out there. But when you make it difficult to even post, let alone quickly browse, you make the feature pointless. Don't even offer it IMO
The interesting question here is now that people have found other alternatives, will people come back even if the old way is put back in place. If so..definitely going to take a while..if ever.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The interesting question here is now that people have found other alternatives, will people come back even if the old way is put back in place. If so..definitely going to take a while..if ever.

Glad to see you around! We will have to derail a thread or two soon enough :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to see you around! We will have to derail a thread or two soon enough :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Look forward to it!! Yeah, it has been a while. Had a slow motion tank crash and am just now starting to get re-energized about my tank (clowns finally hosted my BTAs). Hope you have been well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 167 73.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 39 17.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.2%
Back