Do zoas move?

Carmen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small zoa frag, about 4 heads. It was a survivor of when I had an outbreak of some pest that ate the main colony. Somehow this little guy, with only one tiny head popped up next to a rock in a shaded area. That was about 2 months ago. Now it has 4 heads and last week it appeared to me it had moved away from the rock a little. Yesterday it was quite a ways away, and today it appears to be heading towards a rock with more light. Are my fish moving it? Do they move on their own?

jduran0509

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They tend to move depending on conditions surrounding them, kind of like anemones.

The base attaches them to the rock so it would be pretty hard for fish to move them without killing them.

Have you changed your scape lately or any other changes?

OP
OP
Carmen

Carmen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No changes to the scape. What I was thinking was it was moving out of a shaded area to more light. That is so cool! I didn't know they did this. It will be interesting to see if it climbs the rock. Right now its just on sand...as I said it was a "volunteer" zoa that some how survived after I took the other one out...like it just popped out of the sand.

jduran0509

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably hiding haha. Some of my paly's would shrink as if dying, I'd forget about them or think they melted away and bam! Return of the Mack, coming out all suited and booted... Jp, but they do come out of nowhere like they went on vacation. Good luck!

OP
OP
Carmen

Carmen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know. I'm a newbie, and this is a lot of fun discovering things if not everyday, at least every week. :)

classklown90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't say move but they can detach and float around until they stick somewhere, usually in a rock crevice or something similar

OTReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably hiding haha. Some of my paly's would shrink as if dying, I'd forget about them or think they melted away and bam! Return of the Mack, coming out all suited and booted... Jp, but they do come out of nowhere like they went on vacation. Good luck!
You’re my kinda dude lol “return of the mac, coming out all suited and booted”

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 104 80.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back